HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Miss USA--I don't get it

Today the Donald announced that his is not firing Miss USA Tara Conner, even after she had been seen underage drinking and making out with Miss Teen America. I saw Miss USA on the news crying about how she must have embarassed her family and how sorry she was to cause them such strife. OK. But where were those thoughs before she almost lost her job? Was she thinking of mommy and daddy when she was drinking, snorting coke, and clubbing? Or when she was very publically acting like a tramp? It doesn't seem so. I wonder what they think of her now that she's off to rehab?

Of course, this all transfers onto the new style of young women in the public eye: Paris Hilton Trampy. What the heck happened to propriety? I'm certainly no prude, nor do I think that women should act like 'ladies', but do they have to set the example but they're setting? Is it right to think that this behavior is the future behavior of our daughters? I'm really not happy about this. Thankfully, my daughter is still in full body contact with her underwear, but I have to wonder what will happen once she's in college and really under the influence of the tramp culture?

It started out with the tramp clothing that stores were selling a few years back. Seeing grammar school students walking around with lowrise jeans and belly shirts. Was Miss USA one of those kids back in her little Kentucky town? When she was a pagent kid and prancing around town in her crown did she worry about the evils of living in New York, or was she just dressing up in Ho clothes and primping and preening to attract male attention? What kind of double message did she buy that allowed her to be such an embarassment to her parents?

I don't like the messages young girls are getting from the media. I don't like that every move Britney, Paris, Lindsey, and Nicole make is publicized everywhere. Oh, I admit that I look at the photos sans panties just like everyone else. I cluck my tongue at those shaved nether regions, I shake my head in dismay at the drunken photos, the sad police photos after the numerous DUIs just like everyone else. But if it wasn't publicized, if the media didn't revel in the foibles of these sad young women, then I wouldn't know about it. I guess the point is, we're allowing the media to make these out-of-control women into something they should never be: role models. Oh, they're pretty and lord knows they are thin, but they're dumb and sad and have absolutely nothing going for them.

Britney is a parent that is out partying instead of paying attention to her kids. Who the heck is raising them? Lindsey can't hold a job. Paris doesn't seem to have a job. Nicole is too busy in rehab and starving themselves to work. These girls do absolutely nothing besides shop and party. These aren't role models we want for our children. The more that we idealize them, the more our own children are going to want to be like them. I don't know about you, but I want my daughter to be a successful, happy, member of society. I want her to be clean and neat and presentable. I so do not want her to be a sloppy drunk being hauled out of club after club, being arrested for DUIs, dressed like a tramp with no underwear. I mean, is that what you want for your little princess?

I think Miss USA should have lost her crown. I believe in second chances, I really do. But not in the public eye. She messed up. She was clearly told what her responsibilities were before she embarked on the beauty pagent route. She didn't seem to care. She's a role model for pagent kids. Giving her a sceond chance only enforces that beautiful girls can act any way they want and the consequences are nil for them. I don't like this at all.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I'm glad my girls are in their 20's now and managed to avoid getting all wrapped up in the "role models" they had as teens.

They dress appropriately, they only wear make-up on special occasions, they don't smoke, drink, or swear ... I'm proud of them for being able to resist peer pressure for so many years.

And I'm not patting myself on the back when I say this, but I KNOW I had a lot to do with that. And ultimately, no matter what is pushed into their faces by the media (et al) it's up to us as parents to give them the tools they need to navigate through the BS.

19/12/06 8:38 PM  
Blogger amused observer said...

And why do the media focus on the likes of Paris, Britney, et al? Because of people like you, who go to the gossip sites, buy the gossip rags, who blog about it. I saw the headlines on CNN and managed to skip right over them. Do the same if it bugs you. Otherwise, don't complain if the media fills your addiction.

20/12/06 12:11 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

You missed my point. I don't peruse the gossip sites and I never ever buy the magazines. This stuff is all on the regular network news. It's EVERYWHERE and kids can't miss it. If they watch local news, it's there. If they watch national news, it's there. If they go to a store, it's headlines at the checkout counter. You can't get around it, and I worry that this is what is now news in this godforsaken country. I don't think it's news. I think information about global warming and darfur is news, but that gets hidden behind Paris Skank news, and I think that's wrong.

20/12/06 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Paris, Nicole, etc. want to carry the burden of being 'role models', they must know they're not. They're simply living their lives how they choose. I admit, I enjoy watching and reading about them! I would never complain about them, it's my entertainment! Otherwise I wouldn't bother. You refer to TMZ, foxnews, etc. so I think its sort of not all there if you're saying you don't go there. It's all sensationalized news anyway. I would never ever blame the media for anything my kids became involved/interested in.

21/12/06 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Paris, Nicole, etc. want to carry the burden of being 'role models', they must know they're not. They're simply living their lives how they choose. I admit, I enjoy watching and reading about them! I would never complain about them, it's my entertainment! Otherwise I wouldn't bother. You refer to TMZ, foxnews, etc. so I think its sort of not all there if you're saying you don't go there. It's all sensationalized news anyway. I would never ever blame the media for anything my kids became involved/interested in. The other stuff is just fluff.

21/12/06 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers! TO YOUR COMMENTARY. I am in FULL agreement. It's sad and pathetic... my advice to those in the public eye - watch yourself - because everyone else will be watching too.

29/12/06 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.