HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 29, 2006

When you're entitled

I live in a town filled with entitled people. People that feel they should be first because they're rich. Obnoxious, but loaded. These kinds of people tend to congregate in places where they can push others around because, well after all, they're entitled.

One such place filled to the brim with the entitled is the Atrium. This is the most ridiculously overpriced mall that pays homage to the almighty entitled. How ridiculous is this place? Well, they have a car detailing company that will wash and detail your car while you shop. The only stores in this mall are expensive. The floors are marble, the walls covered with polished brass. The elevators are glass, of course. And the shops? Tiffanys, Pottery Barn, J Crew, Ann Taylor, Borders, Cheesecake Factory and a whole bunch of other stores that I've never bothered to visit.

However, we had a gift card to Borders and the Girl needed a couple of books for school, so I girded my rather substantial loins after a week of peppermint bark, and took her shopping. We only went to Borders, but in the time it took us to purchase two books and get the hell out of the palace of the entitled, two of our ruder citizens felt that they needed to let us know that they are so much more important than we were.

While we were waiting for the elevator to leave, a crowd had already formed. We were towards the back, but there was a wailing baby, and me being baby hungry at all times, I had to go check out the wailer, which turned out to be twins. As I peeked, a grandmother from hell yelled at me "We were here first, you need to get to the back of the line." Um, there wasn't a line to begin with, and I was just looking at the babies. No compliment for those two. Geesh!

Then, when the elevator finally came, she pushed ahead of everyone with the twin stroller, and several other people got on, too. We didn't even bother because the stroller took up half the elevator. I've been there, I know how tough it is to maneuver two babies around. So we waited for the next elevator to arrive.

While we were waiting, another mom with two kids, one in a stroller, one a preschooler on her own two feet, was waiting as well. There was a single man holding a couple of bags, and another older woman. When the elevator came, the man literally pushed everyone aside so he could get in first. I motioned for the stroller lady and kids to get one next, then the older woman got on, and the Girl and I got on last. The rude man decided to push me out of the way so he could push his button instead of just asking me to do it for him. OK. So he's a jerk. I'm not going to get up in his face for that.

But when the elevator arrived on our parking level, he literally shoved the Girl out of his way to get off the elevator first. Um, from the back of the frigging elevator because he had gotten ON first. By then my patience was very very thin. This is the third time rude asshole man had pushed someone in about 2 minutes. So I said, "Could you BE ruder?" and he just kept on walking. What a jackass.

I'm sorry, but what kind of man shoves women out of his way? Women he doesn't know. Women older and much much younger than he is. Women who weren't bothering anyone. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. None. I expect it in some other countries, where women are treated like possessions. I do not expect it in my city.

Freaking entitled asshat, whomever you are, I hope you trip on a stump because you're in such a frigging hurry.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger The Scribe said...

I know the Atrium. Your experience sounds awful. But having lived in Boston for 30 years, I fear it is a Boston thing, rudeness. I have been to much friendlier places. If Boston didn't have so many other positive aspects....
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

29/12/06 4:16 PM  
Blogger Becky68 said...

Oh man! you are preaching to the choir here, I had to go to MA the 15th of December as my Grandmother passed away & everywhere we went I ran into the entitled people, I always forget here in VA how people are up there, then I go back home & remember yet again why I am here in VA (The lower cost of living here in helps too)

29/12/06 10:17 PM  
Blogger thesouthender said...

Typical!! Welcome to my world. for more stories of random entitlement, check me out at thesouthendisover.blogspot.com. Same level of entitlement, different town. Kindof.

29/12/06 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been trying to be more present lately because i have come to realize that life is much too short.

when people driving or shopping have gotten to me lately i just try to take a deep breath and relax, but dang, what a poop head those people were to you.

what has happened to common courtesy?

2/1/07 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.