HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 15, 2007

Ding dong, those bitches are dead! (Updated)

Update: Heaven Nose appears to be back up again, and gloating. I don't get what the point of them being back online is, as they have 'achieved their goal' of shutting Trainwrecks down. But whatever.

The latest craziness in the blogosphere happened this weekend with the long awaited demise of Trainwrecks. And a cheer is heard round the internet as the bitches that slammed anyone and everyone they could have finally been silenced. Nobody really knows why. The people at Heaven Nose, who have also pulled down their site piece by piece this evening, implied that the pressure they put on the Trainwreckers, including posting the identities behind the women of Trainwrecks, might have had something to do with the demise of both sites. We really don't know the particulars, but in my opinion the particulars really don't matter. Trainwrecks was down for a couple of days before the put up this message this evening:

Sorry, folks, but Trainwrecks is gone and it's not coming back. Some deeply disturbed people with an irrational fixation on this site decided that stupid photo montages, libel, and obscene anonymous comments just weren't enough, so they decided to take their little hate campaign into the real world. And since their information came from gossip and bad detective work, they didn't exactly hit the right targets. As anyone might have expected, the people who suffered the most were not even involved with this site.

Once it became clear that the people posting at Heaven Nose were willing to cross the line between a one-sided flame war and real-life harassment, our web host decided enough was enough, and we agreed. This site wasn't important enough to us to be worth having innocent people harassed at home and work. We're done.

They blamed the people at Heaven Nose, and I'm sure that the posting of personal information, something I am absolutely against, caused much of the problem. However, the women behind TW thought that they were deep in hiding, in an internet safe house, but they were wrong. Once they were identified, and that identification was heard round the blogosphere, they cut and run. And thank goodness for that.

TW was solely formed to snark on people. They worked hard to harass certain posters, and they said some very vicious things. But mostly what they did was give all the mean girls (and guys) a place to pick on everyone that irritated them. Gosh, what a great public service! I was only TWed once, and that by a reader who was rather transparent in the way they posted about me. Frankly, my feelings weren't hurt since the person that tried to TW me didn't do a very good job, thereby only garnering a few measly comments. Guess I'm not quite the trainwreck that person implied I was. And that person tried twice in that thread, and it still didn't get picked up.

But they also Trainwrecked people I happen to like. Some of them closed down their blogs because they just couldn't take the constant negative references. Some of them stopped writing about the things that the trainwreckers picked on most. Some people started getting really boring because they couldn't stand being picked apart. Hopefully, now that the Trainwreckers are gone, those folks will breathe a bit easier and their blogs will reflect that freedom.

I believe that the demise of these sites, both of them, are good things for the blogosphere. I don't think it is right to hide behind a mask in order to snipe at people you find ridiculous or irritating. If you have an opinion, say it loudly and proudly. Isn't that what blogging is all about? I try to be truthful on my blog, and in comments. I know that that irritates certain people beyond belief because what they want is a bunch of sychophants who agree with every word they read and throw out the complements as well. Feh! So not me. I've said it before and I'll say it many times again: blogging is an invitation to discourse and if you're unable to even consider another opinion, then either get some therapy or get out of blogging because not everyone is going to think you're all that. Get over it.

I love a bit of drama as much as the next person, and this certainly has been a weekend of blog drama. But all in all, it's a couple of blogs that couldn't get along, and both sites were pulled down. I don't care if there were legal wranglings or threats or whatever. The spirit of blogging is going to be much better without these sites. I'm thrilled to hear about their deaths. I just hope that nobody else feels the need to fill in for Trainwrecks.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

I've been watching the whole thing in disbelief, in the small spaces of time that the ice storm has allowed our internet cable to flicker in and out.

I guess I was glad that Heaven Nose proved that, no matter how anonymous you think you are, you really aren't (though I hope that the revealed identities were TRULY the revealed identities and not some poor innocent bystanders who were unfairly labeled as the Trainwreck girls.) I looked at Heaven Nose this morning and it seems to me, at least, that they've been hacked. Which, if true, is just so completely ridiculous. Maybe it's time that people took a step back and remembered that these are just blogs-- and complete stranger's blogs, at that.

Though I must say, I am pretty relieved that Trainwrecks is gone. They hurt a lot of people. People quit blogging, quit writing their real feelings, because of the threat of being ridiculed. Unfortunately, I am sure that there is enough meanness out there that someone will soon fill in the gap with another online slambook.

15/1/07 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen you around on other blogs and I've read a bit of yours and I must say that I admire your objectivity. Even if you're happy that our blog is no more (which is voluntary by the way), I can respect that!

Goldilocks

21/1/07 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.