HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Incoherent? Moi?

I can't imagine why I'm completely incoherent. I mean, don't most people manage to stay up for over 30 hours straight and maintain their intelligence and calm demeanor? Oh, you don't? Well, then you're probably right there with me on the whacked out of my mind arena.

My insomnia has reached new heights. Last night (which would be Thursday night) I never went to bed at all. Oh, I got in bed, and I laid there for a while wide awake and then I turned on the news to check out if the world was still out there, and yes it was. By then the Worthless Pet decided that he had to make the most spectacular, in both size and smell, poop ever, and smelled up the entire house. I swear it, from upstairs and across the house I could smell it. Gross. So then I was wide awake and read the high school literary paper for a bit. Before I knew it, the kids were up for school and both of them decided to crawl into bed with me hoping against hope I would let them stay home from school.

Being the mean mom that I am, I made them both go to school. Yeah! Can you imagine? So then it was 7 and Good Morning America was on TV so I watched that for a bit and then I had to make a couple of phone calls before the cleaning person came. And because she was coming, I had to get up and get dressed, and get clean sheets for the bed and get my laundry all ready and before I knew it, it was after 9 and I still hadn't fallen asleep.

Downstairs, I cleaned up the massive poop and straightened up the kitchen a bit, then did some work online, and waited for my home health aide to come...except she was sick and didn't come. By the time I finally got it together to call the agency it was noon and I was so freaking wide awake it was insane.

I waited for the kids to come home from school, and then had to do the bank and a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up the food I had purchased, but had not gotten from the packing attendant. Hey, have I ever told you about the grocery store over the highway? That's a post, I promise.

Anyhow, by the time we got home from the grocery store, it was time to start dinner. The girl begged for corned beef and cabbage, and I had to oblige. Easy to prepare and oh, so delicous. Because she is a good and sweet girl at least 90% of the time these days (things are apt to change) she decided to make a cake and many questions ensued. The Boy complained and told us all about how hard his life is because he had to, sob, sweep the floor! I mean it, the indignity of it all!

Then we hung out and I read the paper until it was time for dinner, which was gobbled up in a heartbeat. You'd think we were Irish the way we all love the corned beef and cabbage. It is so freaking good.

A hearty game of Wheel of Fortune and then Jeopardy, and I was snoring in my chair like I had lost my life's blood. Out like the proverbial light. Gone with the Wind. Snoozing to beat the band.

I woke up hours later all cramped and stiff-necked and it was time to send the kiddies to bed.

This insomnia thing is kicking my butt. I want to sleep regular hours, but I just can't seem to maintain it without taking pills, and I get too damn dependant on Ambien for my own good. I stop taking it and the whole thing starts all over again, with me going to bed later and later and later. I hate this. It's fucking up my brain, my mood, my reason for living. I need to sleep for more than 3 hours. I need to sleep all freaking day, around the clock, and make up for all this lost sleep.

You know that the worst thing is? I can't even go to the sleep clinic because I do not sleep at night. I'd lie there all night long plugged into the machines and wide awake. This so totally sucks.

I need to get some really boring textbooks to read. Those never failed to put me out like a light. Nothing like biopsychology to make your eyes close and your mind rest.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let's see... for the past three nights I haven't been able to sleep at all. At best, I manage to nod off for a couple of naps each day. Since sleeping pills render me useless in the mornings, I can't take them before a work-day. This being Friday, I finally got to take pills, but they aren't working. I took one at 9:00... another at 10:30... it's now 11:30 and I am wide awake. Insomnia sucks ass.

6/1/07 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had insomnia since the age of 14. I've done the sleep study thing. I've taken Ambien ... which caused a whole other problem ... sleepwalking. I've tried so many sleep medications it's pathetic. I gave up drinking coffee (my one true love) after 10 am ... including decaf in the evenings.

I average 4 hours a night. On those days that I get less than that, well ... I'm pretty much a blithering idiot. And on those days I might be able to catch a 20-minute cat nap late in the afternoon. And I allow myself to do this because if I don't, I'm liable to fall asleep standing up.

I've given up trying to resolve this problem. Instead, I do crafts, read, or do other chores around the house that aren't going to wake up the snoring masses.

So, basically I don't have an answer for you. I've talked to the doc about this and he's tried to help me, but he finally said to me last year, "Maybe you're just one of those people who can function on little sleep."

One of the things I worried about (with not getting enough sleep) is that it can cause problems with the heart. But I've had it checked out and I'm fine.

The only reason it bothers me is that I never feel like I've had enough restorative sleep. That I wake up just as tired as when I went to sleep.

I hope this is only temporary for you. If not, well ... try not to let it become just one more thing to worry about and learn a new hobby. Easier said than done, right?

6/1/07 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with needing a little help to get to sleep. I gave up 10 years ago and started taking generic benedryl every night (suggested by my doc...) I figure it's better to take a couple of relatively harmless little pills every night than suffer the long term effects of not sleeping...

6/1/07 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.