HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Oh what a night!

Last night, just as we sat down to a huge vat of homemade chicken noodle soup, the Girl ran upstairs, disappearing mysteriously. Time passed, the Boy and I dished out big bowls of soup and starting slurping it down. And lo! It was good.

But then all hell broke loose. The Girl came downstairs crying hysterically doubled over in pain. She has issues with cramps, and we're dealing with it with her new OB/GYN surgeon. But this was worse than cramps. She was shaking all over and sweating and absolutely green. Just to prove the green nausea, she vomited...not once, but five freaking times. She was shaking so hard I was afraid she was having a seizure or something.

Now, this is the child that refuses all medication. I am not too worried about her taking drugs because I can't even get her to take ibuprophan or a vitamin. She does not swallow pills unless under extreme pressure. But she had already taken 3 ibuprophan much earlier in the day. I couldn't get her to take more.

I called the GYN on call and spoke to a doctor who asked an inordinate amount of questions to tell me to just sit tight and wait to see how she felt later on. Thanks so much for that expert opinion! Meanwhile, the Girl was describing to me in detail what she had passed, which I will not share for fear of making you totally sick or thinking she is inhabited by aliens, and wanted to know if I needed to see it. No thanks! I can live without that lovely scenario.

After a bit she stopped sweating profusely and shaking like a leaf all over, and decided to try and eat a bowl of soup. For what is better when you are feeling ill than Mom's homemade Jewish penicillin. She did feel somewhat better after the soup, and then layed down on the sofa and moaned and groaned the rest of the evening.

This is not your childhood cold and flu, people. I know how to deal with that stuff. I can handle croup and chicken pox and all the other childhood maladies that we've been though. But this... whoa, it was so beyond my mothering capabilities that I was literally stunned into silence. I had no clue what to advise her to do.

Her next appointment with the intimidating surgeon is in a few weeks, and meanwhile we have a battery of testing to do next week, including an ultrasound. I'm guessing, although this is wholely based on my own menstrual maladies in youth, that she had an ovarian cyst that ruptured. I just cannot imagine what else could have caused her such agonizing pain. All I can say is, you folks with boys don't know how lucky you are.

To top it all off, her BBF called to ask my advice about a boob problem she was having. BFF does not have a mother, her father is in CA right now, and she's only got her very mean grandmother around. Poor kid, how mortifying must it be to have to ask someone else's mother what to do about a certain pain. I gave her what I think might be sage advice but told her to get to her doctor asap. Sounds like mastitis to me. Can you even get mastitis if you're not nursing?

I'm heading into the kitchen to make another loaf of the No-Rise Bread. I'm going to add some fresh rosemary to the second rise dough, and then salt the top with fluer de sal. If I do two loaves, I'm going to mince up fresh dill for the second rise. I'm finding that adding some herbs makes the bread tasty and it tends to disappear within minutes.

Has anyone tried making it into a sweet bread with currents and all spice? That might be a good experiment, too. Maybe add some pecans, too. I'm also thinking of making an olive loaf with the dough. It's so freaking versatile. If you haven't tried it, you MUST.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What your daughter went through is exactly what my daughter did ... and yes, it was a ruptured ovarian cyst!

I can not make bread to save my life. I think it's because I don't knead it long enough. All the ingredients are there, but it always comes out too dense.

I hope your daughter gets taken care of soon by the docs.

14/1/07 7:38 PM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

Argh! I have your no-rise bread recipe printed out, but haven't had time to make it yet. :-(

I have simply got to take the time to give this a try, because my mouth starts watering every time you talk about it! :-)

23/2/07 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.