HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thinking of quitting your blog?

I just read a brilliant post about how to tell when it's time to quit blogging. I highly recommend people read this.

Recently, many blogs have shut down. Of course many more have started up, but those aren't as well publicized or noticed until they begin to pick up a readership. I've read some pretty interesting reasons why people have quit blogging. And in some cases, no reasons at all are given, the blog just disappears. I think that is the saddest time of all, when you have a favorite blog that bites the dust and you never know why.

One of the reasons I liked this post is because there are people who could certainly take a note on several of the points. Like jumping on the bandwagon just because everyone else is blogging about something. Remember last summer's blogfest after BlogHer ended? It was like you couldn't stand to read one more post about that damn conference. The posts were superfluous and, well, just done to death.

Another great point is to stop blogging if you don't have the temprament for it. Since the demise of Trainwrecks, that isn't so much of an issue, but so many people just couldn't take the pressure of being ridiculed on that site. I have nothing but contempt for Trainwrecks, btw.

Be careful blogging about things that are too close to home. This is one I don't worry about myself. I share a TINY portion of my life on my blog. What I don't want to share, I don't. I am not of the ilk that believes that my life is an open book. It so isn't. Nor are my kids lives. I share what I think might be interesting or a teachable moment for other parents, but lawdy, most of my kids lives are so not on my blog. For which they are eternally thankful.

Being bored with blogging. I think we can all agree that nothing is more disappointing when reading blogs that seeing an updated blog that says "I've got nothing." If you don't have anything to say, lets just keep quiet, shall we? If weeks go by and you have nothing to blog about, maybe it is time to take a hiatus or shut down your blog.

Anyhow, I thought this was such a great find I didn't want it to go unread. Hope you all get something from it, too.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Runaway Rubber Duckie said...

I've never heard of trainwrecks! A good thing, maybe. It is a tough line to walk, blogging about things personal. I do worry about my job sometimes, and I try not to talk about it directly!
I just found you through Blogger Chicks, so wanted to say Hello!
Stacey

30/1/07 2:05 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Margalit, thanks for the visit. This is a well-organized article. I wrote 2 weeks ago about people who stop blogging and don't post a good-bye message - just leave us hanging - and how sad it makes me not to know what happened to them. I want p[eople to let me know that they aren't coming back, even if they are only taking a hiatus.

Re: Lasix. I take the generic, plus potassium and a multi-vitamin with magnesium in it, but maybe I need to up the magnesium dosage. Thanks for the advice.

30/1/07 8:33 AM  
Blogger squeezyB said...

Thanks for sharing this - am off to read it now. Glad to find your blog, I'm in the Boston area too and am happy to add a third local to my daily reading list.

30/1/07 8:58 AM  
Blogger beancounter said...

Thanks for the referral. What a good article. I surfed here today from State of Grace, and have really enjoyed visiting your blog.

30/1/07 3:12 PM  
Blogger holli said...

OMG - I just left the longest comment of my life, only to have it disappear. Maybe it's for the best. Good grief, that will teach me to write novels in someone's comment section.

Maybe I'll come back and retype if I can ever muster that much energy again!!

31/1/07 2:18 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Oh Holli, please tell me what you had to say. I'm DYING to know!

31/1/07 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.