HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Girl Health Update or So not what I expected

There are big words here. Big words I don't know much about, but am reading about.

One word is hyperprolactinaemia. This means elevated blood prolactin levels. Prolactin is a hormone.

Here is a word that is related to the first. Prolactinoma. Prolactinoma is one of the more common causes of prolactin-induced infertility. Prolactinoma causes a tumor to grow on your pituitary gland. This tumor secretes excess prolactin into your body. About 10% of the population have these tumors. They usually do not pose any health risks, besides infertility, though sometimes they can interfere with vision.

Another word is macroprolactinoma. This is a pituatary tumor, a growth on the brain. This is a word I never ever want to hear.

But today these are words we heard at the doctor's office. Another word is MRI. Oh, and more blood tests.

I am scared. I do not like scary words. I absolutely do not like anything growing on my daughter's brain.

The arrogant doctor said that surgery isn't in her future. There is medication that will be used to shrink the tumor. It is a dopamine derivative. Dopamine. Ugly word.

The exact cause of these tumours is unknown but may be to due some genetic disruption within the pituitary gland.

My heart is in my throat.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

My thoughts are with you. I will be sending healing thoughts to you all.

1/2/07 7:40 PM  
Blogger rhea_becker said...

How scary. I hope things go as well as possible.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

1/2/07 7:52 PM  
Blogger iagreewithme.wordpress.com said...

Love and healing thoughts -

1/2/07 10:51 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh,wow. I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter.

1/2/07 11:46 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I'm so sorry that you guys have to deal with this. I know it's so stressful. Sending positive thoughts your way :)

2/2/07 8:35 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

oh, margalit, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and the girl (and the boy.)

2/2/07 7:06 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane Mom said...

Oh how scary. I'm so sorry this is happening. I hope you're able to get more information soon and that it is all good.

2/2/07 7:48 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! It must be such a fright. I don't know if this helps but dopamine really can be your friend, it inhibits prolactin synthesis. I really am sorry.

2/2/07 8:38 PM  
Blogger Troll Baby said...

Margalit,
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Karen

3/2/07 10:58 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

Oh that is so scary! Thinking of you!! Please keep us posted.

3/2/07 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.