HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 23, 2007

Police Traffic Details...what a waste of money


Massachusetts is the only freaking state in the USA that mandates police officers as traffic detail overseers. It is insane, people. Insane. Today I was going over the bridge that shut down the riverside line on the T. There were absolutely NO construction workers out at 11 am, but there were orange cones and not one, but two policemen standing around looking at the dust in the air. They had nothing to do, no traffic to oversee, no construction workers to protect, and yet we're paying them overtime detail pay, which I believe is time and a half, but in this ridiculous state could very well be double time. For what?

Every other state hires traffic detail from the general population. They pay nowhere near what we pay for our traffic details. And yet this has not changed in forever. Again, WHY? What makes the citizens of the Commonwealth believe that they are safer when Officer Schmuckface with his venti cuppa-Joe is chatting up the construction workers? They don't do a damn thing. I don't think I've ever even seen a popo pick up his arm and motion the traffic. They just stand there. So why are we paying these schlubs?

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It boggles the mind! As you may remember, here in L.A. wgen there is a film shoot, there is at least one policeman, sometimes two, and they, like your Mass. guys, do nothing! They don't even bother to look up to see if there is a problem. I'm not really sure who pays for that...! OY!
Michele sent me over to say "HI"!

23/2/07 3:20 PM  
Blogger Becky68 said...

Aparently Blogger lost my original comment, well I was just saying that when I was a young driver, 1987 or so, I had a cop on roadwork detail shake his finger at me for driving too fast. I also mentioned that I thought when I was leaving the state in 1997 that they were trying to change the law & allow regular people to be flagmen instead of cops & that the police union must have stamped the movement to change the law into the ground.
Here from Micheles.

23/2/07 3:26 PM  
Blogger Mr. Althouse said...

Not every other state. Out here on the Left Coast, the most professional and highly trained cops in the state watch over Caltrans workers doing their thing. It seems to me that they could just park a cruiser out there with its overhead lights on (the officer always just sits in his car anyway) to realize the same effect. I would say "Only in California," but of course, I stand corrected.

Michele sent me,

Mike

23/2/07 4:19 PM  
Blogger flutter said...

Yeah, Arizona could use some more people standing around creating traffic. :)
First time at your blog, I like it!

24/2/07 2:26 PM  
Blogger Thumper said...

Police unions probably lobby against change... (Just guessing) I've ever seen cops out here watching Cal Trans worked, unlike Mike...but I bet they're there somewhere...

Here via Michele's this time!

24/2/07 5:50 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Mr. Althouse, lots of times is just the crusier w/o cop.

There are still elevtor operator in one of the buildings I work in. I guess not everyone has gotten up to speed on the lastest technology of going up to the 3rd floor. LOL

Hello from Michele

24/2/07 10:09 PM  
Blogger Foster Dogs said...

That does seem ridiculous.

Here via Michele's.

24/2/07 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.