HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Since when are there TseTse flies in MA?

I know that we have all sorts of weird colds and flus this time of year. And I know that a lot of bloggers are discussing all kinds of medications that are not working for them right now. You read a lot about antidepressants and how they are making people sluggish or shakey or feel horrible. But you do not read about people that spend full days asleep. Until now.

Welcome to my world.

For some inexplicable reason, I spent the entire day today asleep. It was as if I was bitten by the TseTse fly. I could not stay awake. The kids would talk to me and I would sleep right through it. Or they would wake me up, and I would drift right back off. I could not keep my dry burning eyes open. There was nothing that kept me interested enough in what's going on around me because my bed and my pillow, well they were just the most interesting thing in the world.

At some point, I was pried out of bed to come downstairs to watch Masterpiece Theatre, which I actually stayed awake though. But the second it was over, snore..... And then I opened my eyes and it was 9 pm.

I'd insinuate it was a complete and total waste of a day, except it was glorius. I don't sleep well, and when I finally get a whiff of sleep, I absolutely need to follow it through to the end. So although I did sleep an entire day away, I must have needed it more than food or drink, for I had neither nor wanted them. I just wanted blessed slumber.

What finally got me up and awake? Well, it's my complaint about drugs. While everyone else has moods on the mind, I have heartburn. Horrid ugly burning pain in my esophagus. Blech. It is GERD. Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease. I am the colicky baby that never really got rid of my colic. The Girl is just like me. The two of us are heartburn partners. Urp.

My change from not having health insurance to having Medicare is not going as smoothly as I would have hoped. For one thing, they will not cover the little Purple Pill, and without my Nexium, I am hopeless. Oh, I can take Prilosec OTC, which I can't afford, but it doesn't work as well. Protonix works for a while, but Nexium is the purple wonder. Day after blissful day of no heartburn and no reflux. Nexium and I are tight. But Medicare does not like Nexium because it is expensive and it is not generic and they think you can just suffer in colicky silence, so they will not pay for it. Nexium is very costly. Very very costly. It makes me sad how costly it is, considering that drug companies are making a freaking fortune on the stuff.

Opium? Heroin? Cocaine? Nah, the big money is in Nexium.

Besides, for some whacked reason, Medicare only covers 10 days of medication at a time. What the F? So now I have to go get prescriptions three times a month, prescriptions that are written for 30 day supplies.

Why me? What did I ever do to the insurance industry to deserve such maltreatment? Ok, I did say they were bloodsucking morons a few times. And that they make used car salespersons look positively angelic. But really, only 10 days worth at a time? Whose stupid idea is this?

So let's recap. Lots of sleep makes me forget about heartburn. Being awake makes me urpy.

See, Sleep Is Better.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I write for Props & Pans & saw your site there.

I've had run-in's with my medical coverage before too. They'll fill a 30 day supply, but on certain medications that do not have generics, they require a dr follow-up visit before they fill another 30 day supply?!? Seems like it would cost more to it that way? But what do I know?

Hope things work out!

http://www.fenicle.com

10/2/07 10:08 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Margalit. It's amazing how much sleep you body DEMANDS when you're under the weather--even for people that normally don't sleep well. I'm the same way.

I'd never had acid reflex until my late 30s and even now it's only an occasional thing--but it's so incredibly annoying when it happens. I can't imagine having it every day. That would be HELL.

Michele sent me over to sympathize, Margalit. I hope you're feeling better now...

10/2/07 10:21 PM  
Blogger Mr. Althouse said...

I left you a comment on your other blog not realizing that it was on a post created last NOVEMBER!! Anyway, I responded to your comment on my last post, but I don't remember exactly what I said, although I'm sure it was brilliant. So in case you don't get an email notification, here it is.

Mike

Ok, It had to do with not knowing how my parents did it, that I have a 19 year-old son who has yet to find a direction and that I am better equipped to deal with him because I can let him find his path without trying to "fix" him. That's about it, but I said it better before!

10/2/07 11:05 PM  
Blogger Mamma said...

It drives me crazy that folks get double and triple punished for using Medicare. Just crazy!!

10/2/07 11:32 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I saw something tonight & thought of you - if you go to www.walmart.com & click over on the right hand side on "in stores now" and then click on "free samples." You can get a 14-day supply of Prilosec. I know you said it didn't work great...but this is free (maybe use for backup?). I've gotten free samples from this before and you can enter everyone in your household to get more samples - or if you have friends/family that you can use their mailing address you can get more. Just FYI.

11/2/07 2:30 AM  
Blogger carli said...

GERD sucks. Sleeping is awesome. But you're not alone. "Why Me?" Why everyone? We're all getting screwed by the high cost of drugs. . . and it's not just the insurance company's fault. You can also blame an indifferent government and pharmaceutical companies that will never admit how they really work. (They claim the high cost of drugs funds research for new drugs. BS. Government grants cover new research. The high cost of drugs lines the pockets of executives and pays for billions of dollars of marketing.)

Can you find a doctor willing to give you samples? Seriously. Drug companies give out so many freaking samples, many doctors will gladly supply their patients if they can't afford them. When the copay on a medication my doctor wanted me to try was $30, he handed me a month's worth without even blinking.

Feel better!

11/2/07 3:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Man, that must really suck! Sorry you're so tired and sorry that you have GERD and sorry that Medicare is not being at all helpful.

Hopefully you'll have a teeny bit of a good weekend other than that!

Michele sent me today!

11/2/07 4:46 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Michele sent me to say I'm sorry about that, Margalit. I wonder why the gov. won't front you 30 days worth at a time? Do they think you'll be selling them on the streets?

11/2/07 5:57 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hello, I arrived her via Michele's. Nice joint. I liked your weird childhood memories. I don't have any weird childhood memories, but I had a weird childhood.

11/2/07 6:10 PM  
Blogger kevin said...

I'm sorry about your condition, Margalit. I know GERD sucks. Hope thing will go in your favour!

9/3/07 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.