HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Buy a friend a book for no good reason

You love your friends, right? Yeah, me too. Love them to death. They're true blue buddies and sometimes it's important to get your buddies a little something for no good reason. Not a birthday or an anniversary or a get well present. An "I love being your friend" present. Since all my friends are, like me, voracious readers, there's nothing like a good read for a good friend.

Well, here’s the deal: Debra Hamel, writer, book reviewer and blogger, started a book giveway contest at Buy A Friend A Book. BAFAB Weeks come four times a year, in the first weeks of January, April, July, and October. What’s it about? It’s about promoting books. It’s about getting people excited about reading. It’s about buying someone a book for no good reason.

Which is why I'm participating in Buy a Friend A Book. Because I love sharing books with my friends anyhow, and to me, a book is about as special and personal a present as you can get. I've already picked out the book I'm going to give my friend, but I'd like to send a reader a book, too. One lucky reader, that leaves a comment telling me what kind of book they like to read. One reader that wants a book for no good reason. That must be you! So leave me a comment, tell me what your favorite book is, what you live to read, what you absolutely hate (me, I can't abide science fiction and fantasy books), and if you're the person chosen, I'll send you a book. What could be easier?

I'm also going to put up my Amazon wish list, so if you want to reciprocate and buy me a book, you're more than welcome to see what I'm hoping to read soon. There's a ton of really great books on there, so if you need suggestions of what you like to read, you might want to start from there. Plus...cookbooks! So many cookbooks. I think I might have mentioned I am a kitchen slut (thanks, Neener) and will read any cookbook I can get my hands on. Ummm... if only I could hire a cook to make the food!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Melody said...

What a terrific idea! I usually pass my books onto my friends or family after I have read them - I very rarely reread books so I figure I am better off giving them to someone else to read.

Books I like? I enjoy most type of fiction books. Except science-fiction. I enjoy light-hearted 'chick lit' books and scary, scary, real type books. The last one I enjoyed that scared me witless was Mo Hayer's 'Pig Island'. Kinda really creepy. I also love, love, love cookbooks! Good readable cookbooks with lovely photos and explanations that go with them.

I'm here via Michele today...

31/3/07 7:40 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

EEEEE! what a great idea!

By the way, Michele sent me!

31/3/07 8:14 PM  
Blogger Yaeli said...

I love crime and chick-lit, but my most favourite book ever is an inspirational travel books called "the female nomad" by Rita Golden-Gelman. It's an awesome book!
Michele sent me today.

31/3/07 11:13 PM  
Blogger greenshady said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, most of my friends don't exactly know what a book is. I do have a few family members and friends who are "voracious readers." I usually lend books to them.

I don't have a particular genre I live to read, but my current obsession is reading about Genetics, Nanotechnology, and Robotics (GNR). However, I'm trying to get back into some fiction.

I don't have anything I hate yet. My favorite books are Empire Falls by Richard Russo and White Teeth by Zadie Smith. Of course, these are subject to change.

Since you like to read a lot, I should invite you to my new website, http://booksinbed.com. I'm still trying to get it off the ground right now though.

I'll have to check out BAFAB.

31/3/07 11:34 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

It's a great idea but I have few friends that read like I do - but I'll buy my daughter a book as she reads like I do :-) She's into fairy story books whereas I'm into Sci-fi/Fantasy (sorry). I also like computer books, I read The Cuckoo's Egg lately and totally enjoyed it. I've just treated myself to a couple of new books from Borders yesterday, a couple of Mercedes Lackey and 'Neuromancer' by Gibson. I can also recommend Christian Jacq who writes narrative histories of Ancient Egypt, a subject I find totally fascinating.

Greenshady - I'll check out your site later when I've had breakfast (I'm starving).

1/4/07 2:27 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Margalit!

Types of books I like to read - mainly romance, chick-lit and mysteries. I do like "literary" fiction (what exactly does that mean, anyway?) but the sheer wordiness grates on my nerves after a while and I simply MUST return to something light and fluffy, like chick-lit. lol

Too much literary fiction is like eating too much meat and not enough dessert - a girl MUST have her dessert. *grin*

Thanks for participating and Happy BAFAB week!

Write From Karen
take2max.com/blog

1/4/07 3:17 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

I needed a reason to give a new hardback to a friend; now I have one.

1/4/07 4:15 PM  
Blogger Bob-kat said...

What a great idea! I love treating my friends but must admit it's usually with a coffee or some chocoalte! :-)

It's been quite a while since I read a book for pleasure actually as I'm studying for my MBA which requires alot of business related reading! I must admit a change would be nice. I love autobiographys, especially about people who have led incredible lives rather than bog standard contemporary celebs. I also like cookbooks and would love to get to grips with Thai food, and travel books.

Michele sent me to say hello, but then it's no hardship popping by :-)

1/4/07 4:49 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I love the spirit of this. It's so kind and community-focused.

I'll have to think about this for a bit. So much to consider...

We just got the shelf liners down all over the kitchen. Allow me to rephrase this: my WIFE got the liners down. I've been running errands in support of her all day.

Almost there...

Hope you're having a smooth and easy changeover.

1/4/07 5:21 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

And here I just told myself not more than an hour ago that I had to stop buying books. Seriously. I have a problem.

1/4/07 9:24 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Ms Chicky,

You're so close. You MUST come shopping at NEMBF some time. I'll take you on a tour!

2/4/07 2:44 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Love this idea...and it's scary how close your wish list is to mine (the one in my head). Another INCOMPARABLE Jewish cookbook is the beautifully written and researched Gefilte Variations, by Jayne Cohen.
Also in the general food category, my all time fave: Hungering for America: Foodways in Irish, Italian and Jewish Culture by Hasia Diner.

Happy seder. My Tina Dinitz macaroons are done!
-Neener

2/4/07 11:29 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Neen,

I have GOT to get that Tina Dinitz recipe. I've lost it again. This time it will go into the computer with all my other recipes, but please send it to me.

Love you, miss you, wish we were doing Pesach together. Love to G and S.

2/4/07 5:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I too abhor scifi and fantasy, have no interest in chick lit or romances or mysteries, and have a wee cookbook-obsession problem. Please don't make me name a favorite book -- I could never pick one! I read mostly "literary novels," if that's a category. Next up for my book group is The Accidental by Ali Smith, but I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman, which got a great review in the Times.

Please stop by and enter my contest too!

3/4/07 7:46 AM  
Blogger booklogged said...

My favorites are mysteries. I like Elizabeth Peters, Anne Perry, Liza Scottoline, Jaqueline Winspear, Kathy Lynn Emerson, Susan Wittig Albert, etc.

I don't read westerns and only a few romances - mainly the Outlander series.

I am holding a drawing if you are interested in dropping over for a visit.

3/4/07 3:24 PM  
Blogger Literary Feline said...

I wish I could afford to buy all of my blogging friends books. Ho hum. That's not possible. Having a drawing is the next best thing, I suppose. :-)

Let's see . . . I love to read just about everything. A lot depends on my mood. I love a good mystery or suspense/thriller. Fantasy is another favorite genre of mine, although I don't read nearly enough of it. My favorite books tend to be among the general fiction type.

I tend not to like biographies about celebrities or politics and I'm not too keen on romance unless romance is the side story.

Feel free to add your name to my drawing if you'd like. :-)

3/4/07 9:58 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I love reading practically everything. I really love reading Christian fiction chick lit, historical and suspense and also mainstream chick lit. My favorite book is probably The Client by John Grisham with the Harry Potter series (esp book #3) in 2nd place. I'm not so much a fan of regular romance novels where the heroine is wimpy lol.

BAFAB is the best week of the year! Thanks!!!

5/4/07 8:57 PM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

I've mostly been reading nonfiction lately - science (and especially math), travel, and history, as well as cookbooks and craft books. I also like to read literary fiction, humour, and selected books from other genres. I dislike crime and horror books.

7/4/07 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.