HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Come book shopping with me

This post is especially for Carmi, who I am trying to entice to go book shopping with me when he comes to visit. But I had to go anyhow, needing something the Girl and I can read together.

So let me introduce you to the worlds greatest bookstore. Yes, I know, you think the independant bookseller in your town is the best. But it's not. Honestly, I've bookshopped all over the world, and nothing, but nothing compares to my local bookseller, New England Mobile Book Fair. Weird name, huh? It's certainly not mobile, nor is it a fair. But it IS the most astounding place to shop for books you're ever seen. And it isn't like anything else anywhere. So are you ready to come shopping? There are a lot of photos here, so sit back, get a cuppa, and let's get started!

This is the outside of the Book Fair. It doesn't look much like a book store, does it? It's a warehouse. A big huge warehouse, packed to the rafters with books. This side of the bookstore is all currently published titles. Pretty much every currently published title. Are you getting excited yet?



The left side of the Book Fair is just for remaindered books. Those books that didn't sell or came out in softcover as so are marked way down. There are rooms and rooms filled with remainders by topic.


Here are some of the remaindered book rooms. This first photo is the main hallway of the remaindered section. Just look at all those books. Much of them are the Judaic collection, sports, and aeronautics. Odd combination, huh?



This is the Children's remainders room. It has many shelves like this aisle, filled to the brim with adorable books. Many of the titles are multicultural and they also have a lot of history books from all over the world.



See that there are books here for kids of all ages. The average price? Oh, a couple of bucks each. Now you know why my kids had yards and yards of books when they were little.

Board books!



Remainders of cooking and crafts. My favorite section!


More Remainders. There are some tables with Women's Books, books on Acting, Design, Travel, History, Classics, Fiction, Non-Fiction. You name it, you'll find a cheap book on the topic. There is an entire section of Judaic books, and some of them are hard to find Talmudic references.


OK, enough of the Remainders. Let's walk back to the main section of the store. You can see the doorway up ahead.


Let's go to the other side of the store. First you pass all the current hardbacks displayed right by the front of the store. There's fiction, non-fiction, and all kids of other fun books piled up here.


We're going to walk past the kid's shelved section and into the Girl's favorite part of the store. Look at all the holiday books here, right in front of the kid's section.


This is the kid's interactive books and games section. All the craft books, card games, toys, and other cool books are found in this room. Can you see why a kid would love to browse in here for an hour or two. We call this room tantrum central. You can't believe how many tantrums we have seen in this room over the years! We always find something here we want to try.


If you have a crafty kid, this is the best section. Plus, great birthday presents to be found here. Note the lack of Disney tie-ins!


Moving onward, we're heading to the meat of the store. Here are the popular paperbacks. You see the boxes on the floor? That's where they pile all the popular stuff. They don't bother to shelve it. They do shelve the paperback trades, though.



Look at how you find the books. Everything is filed by publisher. You look up on the various computers scattered around the store the title or author of the book you're looking for. Or you can ask one of the many very friendly and helpful store clerks.


Once you find the publisher, you look at the head of each row of books, until you find the row you need.


Then you walk down the aisles and look alphabetically by author for the books.


See, these are all the Rauld Dahl books.


They also have books by age groups. These are the teen books. You often find something you don't expect here!


Do you like Graphic Novels? They have shelves and shelves of them.


Hard to believe it, but they even have a section for the pink books. Chick lit.


Do you plan on traveling anywhere? Check out just some of the travel section. Phew!


Time to check out. You probably can't see, but the nice folks always have bowls of candy right by the cash registers. I always get a Tootsie Roll, but my kids go for the Hershey's minis or Kisses. Sometimes they have butterscotch.


Now admit it, you've never seen a bookstore like the New England Mobile Book fair, have you? One of the reasons why I couldn't really live anywhere else but Boston is this store. For a voracious reader like me, having a book store that carries pretty much every book in current publication plus all those millions of remaindered titles... well this is heaven on earth.

I know what I forgot to tell you. Do you cook? Do you buy cookbooks online? NEMBF is also Jessica's Biscuits. So you can just imagine the remaindered cookbooks. To die for!

You're a tad bit jealous, aren't you? Oh, did I mention we can walk here? And that every book in the store is at least 20% off the list price, with books on sale for up to 40% off. Oh, and that a frequent buyer has to make only 10 $30+ purchases to get a free $20 gift certificate. Yeah. Heh.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My Lordy, Margalit! THIS IS AMAZING! NO. I have never seen a bookstore as incredible as this one and I've seen a lot! Talk about spending money....! And you can walk there...PLUS, candy at check out? I'm on the next flight! LOL!
No, not really, but this is a bookstore after my own heart. Christmas and Hanukah would be covered here in one afternon and with things you cannot find practically anywhere else! Lucky You!
LOVE that sign: No, you are SO not invited to my Bat Mitzvah...LOL, LOL...

Here from Michele's today and so happy to read and see all about this fantastic store! Thank You Very Much!

18/3/07 5:12 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow, I have never seen that huge of a bookstore! Give me a jar of peanutbutter and a spoon and I could just live in there, lol! Thanks for the tour. Here from Michele's :)

18/3/07 5:27 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That certainly seems like Heaven for a reader/booklover! We have a few places around here that sell remaindered books, plus all the usual national stores and a few really good independent ones, but none of them as large as yours. I'll have to visit there, if I am ever in Boston.

18/3/07 6:04 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Naomi, that's a book, not a sign. That's why we found it so funny. You gotta admit, you'd pick that up just to check out the back of it if you were 14. :-)

18/3/07 6:34 PM  
Blogger Mr. Althouse said...

Now THATS a bookstore. Barnes & Noble, move over! If I went in there, I'd probably never come out - they would have to send a search party.

Michele sent me over to drool for a minute...

Mike

18/3/07 7:08 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Jealous doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm drooling here...what a wonderful place to get lost in for a few hours. And within walking distance?!?

When should I plan my visit to your place? I'm thinking I deserve a small vacation as my graduation present to myself at the end of April... help a sista out! ;)

18/3/07 9:42 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ah my favourite haunt! I even know my cookbook lady by first name as well sa her dogs. Not that I spend a lot of time there...nope, not me!

19/3/07 9:17 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

OMG! That's a lot of books!

19/3/07 10:45 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

*swoon*
I think this is almost a reason for me to avoid Boston...
I had to get my boyfriend to propel me towards the registers of the Strand in New York, before I could spend any more money, and this shop looks even better. As it was I had to post myself a box of books back to Australia because I couldn't fit them all into my luggage.

19/3/07 8:45 PM  
Blogger Becky68 said...

Hi Margalit!
I have to ask where is this place? Because my mother would love it (& me too, but I won't be up in Mass until June or July) I am going to email her the link to this page because if she's not aware of it already she needs to be!

20/3/07 12:14 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

You lucky thing. If the cost of a flight from UK to Boston wasn't so much I'd be there tomorrow (for a month!!)

20/3/07 3:40 PM  
Blogger irreverentmama said...

Wow. My husband and I both love books, but he LOOOVES book stores.If I ever decide I've had enough of him, I'm going to send him this link, a map, and a suitcase. I'd never see him again. (Though he would probably be arm-wrestling Carolyn for her peanut butter...)

22/3/08 5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.