HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spring, mansions, and the Boy: Photo Essay

Not that those three topics have anything in common other than they're all thoughts I've had so far today, but...

Just got back from visiting the boy. He's doing really well and is starting to want to come home. Being that there isn't really anywhere outside that he can go, other than a walled courtyard, he's got a touch of spring fever. When I got there, all the teen girls were laying out in the sun with their shirts rolled up and shorts on. Tanning seems to take on new importance when you're spending time in the hospital.



On the way home I stopped to photograph a couple of little shacks that I drive by. Honestly, I don't see how a family could even FIT into one of these houses, they're so tiny. Check out the conservatory on the right side. That one room is larger than my entire house. Doesn't this look like the frigging White House?



I love this one. It's so typically New England. It's of the Federalist period, and has the most gorgeous landscaping around it. Just a beautiful and very scenic home.

Is there any question about why this town is called Swellsley?



Got home and the Girl is gone, and the Dishes. Are. Not. Done.

Someone's in trouble!

Lastly, although every blogger in the Northeast has mentioned this countless times in the past couple of days, spring has at last sprung. I didn't think I could make it through another dreary rainy day, but that past couple of days have been glorious. It's warm and sunny, the forsythia is starting to bloom (a month late, but beggers can't be choosers) and one clump of daffodils are just about to pop open. My chives are up, all the perennials have started appearing above the ground, and it's time to start gardening. The ground is still a tad bit wet, so I'm planning to wait until next weekend to expand the beds and do some edging. I've got a bunch of plans for this summer, including enlarging the kitchen garden to include beans, cukes, and summer squash along with the herbs, tomatos, and courgettes. I'm also going to sow a few rows of exotic greens, hopefully incuding radicchio and rocket. I've got the seeds, I just need to get the ground prepared in time.

In the perennial bed, I'm adding a buddleia, some phlox, astilbe, campanula, delphinium, echinecia, a bunch of day lilies I'm getting from a friend, who originally got them from me in another garden years ago!, red monarda, salvia, more lupines, veronica, bleeding heart and dutchman's britches, and hopefully a tree peony.


I might not get all of it in this year, but the plan is to get as much in as I can, and to restore all of the beds as well as to install a large cement birdbath that is hidden in the woods into the center of the garden. This is what it currently looks like. Bitchin' illustrator drawing, huh? Such a fabo artist me is!

The beds are sort of freeform now, and I want to even them out and get them to a more formal shape. Some are wide, some are narrow, some piddle out in the middle of the grass. But when it's restored, it's gonna be gorgeous!

I want to add a bench like this too, which is also kind of stuck at the edge of the woods.



Whomever originally planned the garden, before it went to hell from lack of careful gardening, did so with that type of theme in mind, and I'd really like it to get back to it's former glory. I believe the gardener destroyed the rose bushes last fall when he cut them all down to the ground (why, I do not know) but that's actually a good thing, as they were rambling and took up way too much space and needed an archway trellis, something I can't afford.



I can't wait!

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

If you had a home like that, it wouldn't be your "home", because of the staff you'd need to keep it up. Your garden looks lovely. It's autumn here, which is great on sunny days with all the colours, and depressing on grey days. I think it's going to be a sunny day today though. Here from Michele's.

22/4/07 3:56 PM  
Blogger Mr. Althouse said...

Nice shots. I'm not sure how I'd fill up a house that size. It seems I would get lost in it - or worse, my kids would. And all that greenery makes my nose itch - right through the computer!

Have a great week.

Michele sent me,

Mike

22/4/07 4:07 PM  
Blogger panthergirl said...

Oh man.... I was going to take some pictures of the houses I drive by too!!! Isn't it weird that people are having FEWER kids and building homes like this??

22/4/07 4:30 PM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

If I owned a home like that, 90% of it would undoubtedly end up staying empty. Or filled with crap.

Okay, probably filled with crap. :-)

22/4/07 6:12 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Those houses are beautiful, but to be honest, not my cup of tea. They are very...large, LOL!

Now--that garden? Is beautiful! My yard is bare, and I don't even know where to start. I love that bench!

Spring has sprung here, too. It's about time!

23/4/07 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.