HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Did you know that some people have social lives?

I am gobsmacked. God, I love that word! I've been trying mightily to plan a bit of a get-together for a bunch of friends that I don't often see. Just a small Sunday gathering with some food, music, and of course drinks. You would think I'm planning the wedding of the century. People have every weekend booked between now and August, for heaven's sake. Who the hell is that busy in the summer? Isn't the summer the time when you all hang out and get relaxed? I must be missing something because we've got a few things planned, but mostly we're not so much a plan ahead family. I've always been spontaneous. I like living on the edge, I guess. But now I feel like there's something wrong with me that I don't have social engagements every weekend up until next December.
-----

I've been mulling over and over and over again whether or not to go here. But it's really bothering me a lot, and I need a bit of a sanity check. The other day, Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer posted something about whether or not you would vote for someone that had experienced an extra-marital affair. To me, what a person does in their private lives has little to do with how they're going to perform as President of the United States. I mean, pretty much all of our Presidents have had extra-marital affairs and it didn't much matter at all until the Conservative Christians went all ballistic on Clinton.

But most of the readers/commenters at RIMD totally disagreed with me. Almost all of them are very conservative Christians, and they have answered for me the question of how the hell this country got into this mess with the Shrub. Man, if it isn't clear to you that something is seriously wrong with the way the Christian right thinks politically, take a look at the comments. There are people that have stated that they WOULD NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT ISN'T CHRISTIAN. I cannot believe that level of bigotry went unchallenged, but it did. Some of the comments are so, I can't even think of a word that correctly describes what I'm feeling... bizarre, ugly, ignorant, uneducated, stupid, bigoted, and rigid all come to mind. How did people that proclaim their Christianity loudly and clearly forget some of the original tenets of their religion? How can the be so ignorant? How can they be such bigots and think that it's just OK to spew hatred in the name of Christianity?

This comment in particular intrigued me. How do you even argue with someone that thinks like this? Or this one. Wouldn't ever vote against party lines regardless of how HER party has, in less than 9 years, almost destroyed this country. Oy vey iz mir! This one was particularly weird. Jews will NEVER be President. OK. This one made me physically ill. To make that kind of comparison is beyond sick. Living breathing men, women and children marched to their deaths is NOT the same as an abortion. And if this person can't see that, then what hope do we have for the voters of the country?

The thing is, I'm sure these are nice people that are so sheltered in their Christian right wing lives that they don't even get how scary their ideology is. I don't think anyone posting is mean or wants to be hurtful, far from it. I think they actually believe that this way of living is the right way for all of us. That they have the right to declare their mores on the entire world, but don't see the irony of that when they decry the Islamic 'enemy'. Here's another head scratcher. And here, here and here.

That should give you a taste of the discussion. I wish I could get it out of my mind, but it really has put a shadow over the entire weekend. I know better than to read this stuff, too. But this time I got intrigued and ended up commenting. Ugh. I should just put myself in time out.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

It is hard to believe how some people think. Of course, I'm extremely liberal and I'm sure they wonder how I could possibly believe what I do. LOL

27/5/07 2:21 PM  
Blogger Nikki-ann said...

I can understand your frustration. I'm not a religious person (yet experienced religion in school) and often wonder why some religious people are so against people from other religions. I can't say I've read the bible (or any other religious text) from cover to cover, but I'm sure there's something about loving your neighbour etc etc etc. To me, religion and anything else somebody might do in their private life has nothing to do with who I might vote for to be elected. It's their policies etc that interest me.

27/5/07 2:33 PM  
Blogger love,mom said...

Clinton might have gotten a bj in office but Shrub is f-ing the Constitution.

27/5/07 6:44 PM  
Blogger love,mom said...

Geez Louise.

Insanity. Pure insanity.

Clinton might have gotton a bj in office but Shrub is f-ing the Constitution.

Those comments are shameful.

27/5/07 6:46 PM  
Blogger canape said...

I only had to read the first comment to know what the rest of them were like.

This may not be a secret to you, but the conservative right teaches these stock responses to anything that might "challenge what you believe."

The whole, 'you can't believe in some Jesus' or 'you can't save some lives' blah blah blah. Everything I read was stock footage from Dobsonesque religious right brainwashing.

So, if you makes you feel any better, you don't have to wonder how people can think this way. They aren't thinking at all.

27/5/07 8:29 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Aren't you doing the same name-calling you are against?

We are all hypocrites in one way or another.

Yes, I'm a Christian. Yes, I'm a Democrat. Yes, I do think for myself. Yes, there are abhorent Christians. Abhorent Jews. Abhorent Muslims. Abhorent Atheists and agnostics,etc. There are also imperfect people, just trying to make the best decisions they can, based on the information they have.

Shades of grey.

28/5/07 11:59 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Actually Gretchen, no I'm not calling names and I'm certainly not saying I'd never vote for anyone that wasn't my religion, nor did I say I would never vote across party lines, nor did I say that some people were the antichrist, all of which WAS said in that thread. I'm sorry if you feel hurt, but much of what was said was so abhorant, and so degrading to people who don't affiliate with evangelical Christianity that if boggles the mind. Like the person that equated abortion with the murder of HALF the Jewish population on earth, like you could even think that they're the same. A few cells banded together into a fetus is NOT the same as living, breathing men, women and children who were gassed because of their religion. And the perpetrators... oh my, Christians. What a shock!

28/5/07 3:22 PM  
Blogger Poppy Buxom said...

Actually, I'm kind of digging the whole concept of Oprah as the Whore of Babylon. That magazine of hers drive me batshit (like the Martha Stewart one) so now I can just tell myself not to pick it up because she's the Great Harlot.

29/5/07 10:17 AM  
Blogger kitten said...

ANd most of those jerkes have NO CLUE that Joe Lieberman is Jewish, ahem...we won't go anywhere near him changing parties *I'm incensed* but I won't go there. Anywho, I think it's kind of funny what morons some people are. Those Ultra-rightist ( I reserve the right to call them that since I've been openly called an Ultra-Liberal by my own grandmother) just don't have a freakin clue, do they margalit?

30/5/07 5:14 AM  
Blogger kitten said...

Oh and I hope my comment made sense...I'm STILL not all there with my medicine yet *sigh* the damn dosage keeps going up and I'm friggin fuzzy as heck...and still not even close to pain free.

30/5/07 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.