HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Healthy One Dish Meal

Every once in a while, like every single day, I make our meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. You know, what responsible mom's do for their families. And when my kids aren't eating their one big of Tostidos a month, which the Queen Sanctimommy (Trollie) and her royal court of Judgy McJudgersons have deemed child abuse, because you know, THEY never feed their kids anything than organic algae straight from the forest and made by gnomes, MY kids like to eat things like zucchini boats, which I made for dinner tonight.

Doesn't that look yummy. It's healthy, delicious and Sanctimommy proof!

Now I know that conceptually it's hard for the Sanctimommy and her perfect backup singers the McJudgersons that I know how to cook good, healthy food. Yup, I do. Which is why I was hired to write on a cooking blog. A CANADIAN cooking blog. Can you imagine? Now, I know what you're thinking. All Canadians are horrible people. But you can't judge an entire country on one horrible citizen and her chorus of cretins. I just won't allow it. Why, some of my best friends are Canadians, and they're perfectly respectable folks! So there's a seriously bad apple in the bunch. Forgive and forget. Right? So not right. I'm just getting started. :-)

Anyhow, on to the Zucchini Boats. I've mentioned before that I'm a gardener. A gardener from way back when. I like zucchini probably more than the next person, and so do my kids, those kids that are allowed (now don't all gasp at once) a bag of Tostidos a month! But because my kids have always eaten and liked fruits and veggies, just like so many (NOT) of the McJudgerson children (cough Henry cough), I can make meals like this and know that they'll be gobbled down. So I grow a lot of zucchini. And tomatos, for that matter. And an entire herb garden with which to season my freshly grown veggies. I've grown veggies for years, as I said. This recipe is something I invented in college, way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and mom's didn't pit other moms against each other as a sport. How times have changed! You know back then there wasn't any such thing as cyberbullying. Can you believe how difficult that much have been for the Sanctimommies. What would they have done back then? But I digress...

Of course, this time of year there aren't a lot of fresh veggies where I live, with such a short growing season and all. Not at ALL like in Canada, where people grow their own organic veggies year round, especially in Toronto. Soooo, when I was shopping I bought a lot of zucchini because, as I said, my kids love it. Tonight the Girl asked if I would make zucchini boats. And being the kind of mother I am, you know, one that listens to their kids and tries to be understanding about their needs, I of course agreed.

To make my zucchini boats you'll need:

7 or 8 medium sized zucchini. No giant marrows, as they taste horrid.
Parmesan Cheese
Basil
Parsley
Oregano
Diced Tomatoes, canned or fresh diced in season
Mozzerella Cheese
Panko bread crumbs (or Matzoh meal, if it's Passover)
2 eggs

  • Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and scoop out the insides. Set the insides aside on a big bowl.
  • Lay the scooped out "boats" on the bottom of a glass pan.
  • Cut up the insides, and a couple of whole zucchini into a fine dice.
  • Add one large can of diced tomatoes, strained.
  • Add basil, parsley, and oregano to taste. If you're using dried, go a bit heavier than you might think you need, as the zucchini soaks up a lot of flavor.
  • Stir.
  • Add about 1 cup of panko bread crumbs and two eggs. Stir.
  • Add about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and stir.
  • Scoop the mixture on top of the zucchini boats evenly, so that all the boats are filled to overflowing.
  • Top with mozzerella cheese and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until top is browning and bubbly and zucchini boats are cooked through.
  • Let cool for about 5 minutes, then plate and serve.
Imagine, not a tostido in sight. What a cruel and abusive mom I am! At least I'm smart. I wish Sanctimommy could say that, but no.... she can't. Which is apparent by her complete lack of ability to have a cogent argument without namecalling and abusive rhetoric. Maybe if she ATE something, she might be in a better mood. I'm just sayin'.

Oh, and trying to block me from your blog worked really well. Love how you're posting about those hard working Nigerian scammers. I mean really, they're so much better than Americans. What a moron. Honestly.

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

Hello,
this is a blogmad hit.
I like zucchini very much as well. I shall try your recipe! looks really yummy!!
Kat

9/6/07 10:18 PM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

this looks delicious! i can't wait to try it.

11/6/07 11:09 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

That does look good. My husband, freak of nature that he is (hey, he's Canadian, maybe THAT'S his problem) doesn't like Parmesan cheese. It makes it very hard to cook anything Italian, believe me. Could that be left out or should I just plan to make it on a night he's not home?

11/6/07 12:59 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

MB, he doesn't like parmisan cheese? What kind of heretic did you marry? :-0

Yes, you can leave out the parm. It adds a bit of saltiness, but with the mozz, you've got enough saltiness and cheesiness to be delish.

I thought you've find it funny to know that one of the trollys came over here and dissed this recipe, saying that zucchini was a waste because in didn't have fiber and wasn't vitamin rich, and that the cheese was all fat, so I was just feeding my kids filler and fat. Since i use low fat mozz, I thought that was particularly hilarious. I bet her kid hasn't eaten a green veggie since 2003.
:-)

11/6/07 1:34 PM  
Blogger Ladybug's Picnic said...

I surfed over here from NEMamas and am I glad I did. This looks fantastically yummy - and I always have a shitload of zucchini left over by the end of the summer. Thanks for the recipe and pics.

11/6/07 6:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

It is not a waste.

Zucchini (raw, chopped with skin), 1 cup (135g)
Calories: 17
Protein: 1.4g
Carbohydrate: 3.6g
Total Fat: 0.17g
Fiber: 1.5g
*Good source of: Vitamin C (11mg)

just saying ..

:)

30/6/07 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.