HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The city is a maze #41


Hey folks... I need comments to keep awake. And I need sponsors to help me reach my goal. So please, a comment or two? And please sponsor me. Purty pleeze...


Finding the ghetto wasn't all that hard. Finding our way back to the hotel? That was almost impossible. I don't know why, but we got so lost. Venice is a maze. Because there are no real 'streets' per se, you think you're going the right way, and all of a sudden the streets disappear off the map. The map. Oy, the map! I have never seen worse maps than those of Venice. We bought one. It sucked. We bought another one. It sucked too. But eventually we found our way back. That gelato really did help!



The other reason we loved our hotel (OK, I loved the hotel...Dawn didn't care about this at all) was that it was directly across the street from a huge modern kitchen store. Sort of like Sur Le Table, only modern and Italian.

Some people buy touristy mementos of their trips. Me, I buy kitchen supplies. They had the most gorgeous stainless utensils and I just had to have them. And an Alessi tea kettle. I had to have that, too. So I shopped there and found the exact things I wanted. To this day I use them all the time, and they're the best utensils I own. By far!

The next day we explored San Marco and the Campanile. I'm not big on churches, but Dawn is Italian and Catholic, so we did the church thing. She had to endure the Ghetto, it was only fair. I also HATE pigeons. HATE THEM. Freaking flying rats. They make my skin crawl just to think of them. San Marco is the flying rat capital of the world. Shiver me timbers, I hate those damn birds.


One of the things I really wanted to do is to go to one of the outer islands of Venice called Torcello. This is SO lame, but the reason I wanted to go is that it was part of an As the World Turns feature with Julianne Moore as Frannie. I know, it's insane, but I just really wanted to see it in real life because it was so beautiful on the show.



We took a boat over. Most of the people got off at the glass blowing factories, but I'd been there before and honestly, most of what the tourists see is such crap. I didn't want to waste my time on Murano when I could see Torcello. And boy, was I right.


Torcello is the most beautiful place I think I've ever been. It's like a miniature Venice, with a medieval church, small canals filled with colorful homes, and such a quiet atmosphere. So unlike Venice, which bursts forth each morning with gossip and talking and the joyous people walking to work. It's very loud. But Torcello is quiet and peaceful and so very beautiful. Plus, they have women making italian lace sitting in front of the houses. It's so interesting to watch!

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger JaniceNW said...

Wow. Looks amazing. I have to disagree about the glass though. I love glasswork. We have Dale(eye patch like a pirate) I let my assistants do all the hard work of the actual glass making Chihuly here in the area. He's done some amazing projects around the world. In Mariners Stadium there is this incredible chandeliers made up of thousands of glass(kind of a fristed white)bats. Baseball bats not flying rat bats. It is beautiful.

29/7/07 4:15 AM  
Blogger rebekkah_srl said...

Wow. Just Wow. Really

Sarah R L Boese

Fiction, Poetry amd Literary Mumbo Jumbo
Blogging for Planned Parenthood
http://www.boeseonline.com/blog1

Sponsor Me?
http://www.blogathon.org/pledge.php?blogid=684

29/7/07 4:17 AM  
Blogger JaniceNW said...

It's 2:46am my time and I'm fading fast. Hope I helped some by being here. Love ya!

Gonna get some sleep so I can tackle chem studying for my test Monday.

29/7/07 4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.