HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ending on a very high note

For a day that started out poorly at best, it sure did end up delightfully. We went from full frustration mode, to breathing easier once the damn Latin project was done and picked up and out of the way. We went from big pissy anger at each other to happy hugs by the end of the day.

So what was so different about the beginning of the day and moving to the end? Well, I scored huge on freecycle for the Boy and got a free surround sound system for the TV. It's not high end, but he is happy that at least we've GOT a surround sound system for his gaming and movies. The child could not be more pleased. Me, I don't really care one way or another, but I knew he would be so psyched he would get off my back for a day or two. I was right. He was Mr Pleasant for the evening with only a few minor outbursts at his sister. Miraculous. Yes, it's kind of bribing him. But it was FREE, and it was available today.

My love for freecycle grows by leaps and bounds. Yesterday a rug for the Girl, today surround sound. You never know what tomorrow might bring!

This afternoon, while the Boy was meeting with his Latin teacher, the Girl and I headed out to Marshalls, where she was looking for a new pair of jeans. She had $35 of her own money to spend, and we spent a LOT of time looking at everything, trying on sale items, etc. I tried on a couple of bathing suits. Oh my God... it was not good. I don't know what size I wear anymore, but it wasn't any of the various sizes I tried on. Nightmarish, I'm telling you. Downright frightening.

We also tried on several dresses for the wedding we are hopefully attending in October. October is a tough month. Mostly it's hot, but it could be cold. Who knows? They had several sale racks filled with cute dresses and the Girl found several she liked. One looked absolutely GORGEOUS on her, but it was more money than she had, and she really wanted jeans, and they won't take markdowns on layaway, which sucks, btw. So we hid it and will try and come back in a couple of days when I have money to lend her.

I found a dress I really liked. I NEVER like anything. I'm very picky about the clothing I wear. I've got enough sensory issues that the clothing I wear has to be very comfortable, a natural fabric, and then I look at what it actually looks like. I am very hard to please. I dislike most of the styles that are popular right now, plus I can't wear anything really revealing in front because my freaking defibrillator shows and it looks really weird to see this big square thing under my skin poking out. I mean it, very very creepy. The scar doesn't bother me that much, but the 3" rectangle poking out from under my skin makes me very uncomfortable. I look like I'm bionic or something.

Today I found a dress I loved. On sale. Marked down to $15 bucks. It was cotton, it was adorable, it fit, and I loved it. Yes, my defibrillator shows, but with a little shrug or a wrap, it will be fine. I loved this dress. LOVED it. I'll still need to lose a few more lbs for it to be perfect without Spanx, and it isn't for the wedding as it's way too casual, but no matter. I loved it. I never love anything. Ever. I've blogged for years and I swear this is the first time I'ver ever even mentioned liking a piece of clothing.

I'm a utilitarian person. I wear what is comfortable, easy to keep clean, and if it looks decent, which it rarely does, then I'm happy. I don't like prints as a rule, I like solid colors, classic type fit, and interesting design. JJill tends to have the clothing that I like the most. But it's way to expensive for me. I have some pieces from when I was working and had money, like 7 years ago, and I still wear them all the time. Worn out...you betcha. But comfy. Way too big. No doubt about it. But comfy!

When we find out that you can't put sale items on layaway, I am sad, but I just can't afford that dress right now. Maybe in a few days, but not today. So I put it back, and I say to the Girl, "I'm putting it away in the wrong place so maybe nobody will find it and it will still be here in a few days when we come back." She looks at my and my eyes are tearing up. I mean I REALLY liked this dress.

So she puts back the new adorable bra that she was going to get, and the two pairs of undies, and says, "I'll just get the jeans and buy you the dress." I protest, but she insists. She wanted to buy me something she knows I like. She said, "You never buy yourself anything and you never like anything. I want to buy this for you."

I let her. She was so sweet and so excited for me to have a dress that I just love. Not that she didn't love it too. She was so into it she tried it on. Um... it was a tad too big for her. Heh. She's like a size 3-4. I have never in my life, even at my absolute thinnest, been smaller than a size 11. I'm big boned and 5'9. She's tiny and delicate and 5'3. We don't share clothing, although she does wear my t-shirts to sleep in all the time. So does the Boy. I never have anything to wear because they dip into my drawers and borrow my shirts and socks. It's ok. I rarely mind.


This is the dress. Is it not the cutest dress ever? It looks even better without the hoodie!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Fab dress! Wear it in good health.

1/8/07 1:31 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

I just lost a bunch of comments. I'm sorry. I suck. I'm half asleep and just pressed the wrong button. So if you commented, please write it again so the Girl can see what you had to say.

Someone asked about the wedding. I'm going to write a post about it. SOOOOO not looking forward to it.

1/8/07 10:48 AM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

She is the sweetest :) It makes me want to do something nice for my mama today.

Very cute dress! And, a steal at $15 bucks! I rarely look at clothes at Marshalls because I have a short attention span and also am distracted by all the shiny housewares, but maybe I will now!

1/8/07 11:24 AM  
Blogger JaniceNW said...

Your children have lovely generous sides. It shows how much they care for you and they understand how much you sacrifice for them, totally willingly, but so terrific they notice.

My son almost went up to the receptionist in doc-in-the-box(to yell at her) cuz I was crying from pain and 7 people who arrived after were taken back before us. He does care about me and how I'm treated. My sweet boy waited with me for 4 hours.

BBB is my hope.

2/8/07 12:09 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Love the dress, and the Girl is lovely...

and $15, from my Aussie perspective that's crazy cheap. Excellent.

2/8/07 10:21 PM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

the dress is darling!

3/8/07 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could (seriously) wear that dress to a formal wedding. Dress it up w/ a sheer/lacey type shawl and some jewelry. I dont know how old you are, but as I age.. I find "less is more" w/ the jewelry. So, if I wear a funky necklace, I leave off the earrings (or go REAL simple) Same w/ braceltes... Prolly nada you didn't already know.

PS.. You could even dress that up for yr upcoming wedding w/ a fancy jacket... Ever go to Chico's? I clothe myself almost soley from there except I buy off e-bay.. dirt cheap.. Chico's sizes run true. If you wear a size 16, for example (and you don't).. that's a SIZE 2 at chico's! I love going in there just to try junk on.. and saying stuff like.. "Ya got that in a size 1?"

Best,
S

7/8/07 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.