HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Foot in Mouth Disease

You know how we were joking about the police blocking off the portion of the road above and below my driveway? How they said they were "measuring" and we were all laughing at the bizarreness of that answer. Um. I take it all back. So not funny. Not even remotely funny. We're sorry we made a joke out of it.

You see, they were measuring. They were measuring the skid marks for a fatal accident that happened almost directly across the street from us. An accident where two people died. Two young adults. Two Japanese students attending college here.


From all the markings on the road, it looks like they lost control of their car right past our driveway. First they careened left into the oncoming traffic lane. Then they over-steered to gain control and skidded way right. In trying to right themselves, they crashed right into a tree in front of our local elementary school.

The tree has become a memorial to the young men. Today we stopped to look at the memorial site, and there were 3 very well dressed young men stopping to leave flowers and a card. They had driven up from Connecticut. I spoke to one of them, asking if he knew the two guys who had been killed. One was his best friend. He told me a bit about his friend. It was horribly sad.


Our road is very dark at night. We have street light directly across from our driveway, and not another one until the corner, several houses down. Oddly, our street runs north and south where we live, and then turns east to west at the end of our block. It's not a terrible intersection unless the school is letting out, and then it's utter chaos. But at 1 am, there is rarely any traffic at all and when there is, they tend to drive very fast for a small suburban secondary road. Speed played a part in this accident. It isn't surprising.

Living right across from a memorial site is difficult. It makes me really sad to know that two young men died. The Boy heard the accident. I was listening to music and didn't hear it. The Boy came downstairs because he couldn't fall back to sleep, and there were sirens blaring for quite some time as ambulances, firetrucks, and plenty of police responded to the accident. I don't even know who called it in. I'm glad I didn't see the accident. I don't think I could have handled that.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

what a tragic accident. i'm glad you were able to talk with friends of the young men who died, and hope that brought them some comfort.

we are sending some virtual origami cranes for the memorial. [my daughter makes cranes.] they symbolize peace and love. http://monkey.org/~aidan/origami/crane/

it is stunning when something awful happens in the neighborhood. brings the fact that life is fragile very close to home. auto accidents involving young people are among my great fears, of course, since my kids are young adults.

5/7/07 7:15 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Oh, how sad. Those poor kids. That's something I worry about a lot with my oldest and it scares the hell out of me. Sometimes I wish he never got his license.

5/7/07 7:34 PM  
Blogger theotherbear said...

Oh how awful. And making the jokes about it before you knew is completely something that I might do.

6/7/07 5:32 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, I saw that on the local news and trust me you wouldn't have wanted to see that.It gave me the willies seeing the car on TV-it was truly wrapped around that tree,driver/passenger compartment destroyed~there is no way anyone could have survived (seatbelts or not). I'm no accident reconstructionist but speed is what killed them judging by the damage.
So sad that two more young lives were lost.

6/7/07 4:05 PM  
Blogger A. Mayuzumi said...

Wow. That accident was all over the Japanese news, even.

6/7/07 4:24 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

I did see pictures of the accident, and that car was so mangled that nobody could have survived. Although you can't see it in the pictures, the tree isn't level with the curb. It's down several feet in a little ravine that marks the beginning of the school playing field. So they didn't just jump the curb, they flew over it and went down the hill.

I'm having a hard time getting over this. Cars keep going down the street to look at the memorial site. It's hard to know such a violent crash happened right under your house. Being so high up on the hill often isolates us from what happens below. This time, we can't just shut it out.

6/7/07 5:05 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

What a horrible horrible thing to have happened....And so very sad, too! It must have sounded horrendous, too!
I can understand how you feel about the viplence of this accident so close to your house....I think it would haunt me for a long long time.
Take care, my dear....The Boy must be pretty traumatized....

7/7/07 4:05 AM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Stories like this are too common in our modern world. It saddens me when I think of kids getting behind the wheel and failing to appreciate the power they have at their fingertips. Sad, sad, sad.

I wish I knew how to impress this on my own kids, who will one day join their generation behind the wheel.

7/7/07 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.