HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Lazy Days

One of the best things about midsummer days is the ability to be completely lazy. During the rest of the year, there is always something to do, some place to be, someone to talk to. But midsummer, everyone is away on vacation, the streets are empty of traffic, the phone stops ringing nonstop, and things slow down to a crawl. I love this time of year. I love the quiet and peacefulness of days that stretch long and hot.

Being home with the kids is a treat. Teenagers have so many social engagements. They're wandering here and there, sleeping over friends houses, going to visit other friends. They're very busy, my kids. But now, during this heat wave, they lay on makeshift beds they've made on the floor and watch movies and play cards. They talk to each other without (much) fighting. They discuss pressing matters, they laugh at funny things from their past, they learn to enjoy each other's company again. Maybe they even get an inkling of how lucky they are to have each other.

For me, laying about rereading Harry Potter 6 in preparation for the new book's release, playing majhongg on the computer, and thinking about what I'll make for dinner is about as strenuous as it gets. Today I didn't even bother to get dressed. It's too hot to go outside, and what's the point inside?

Later on we'll look at all the baking cookbooks and I'll pick out my birthday cake. The kids will make a fuss. "It looks TOOO HARD!" They'll whine and complain and I'll remind them that it's my birthday and my choice. We'll check all the ingredients and plan a trip to the grocery store when it gets cooler. They'll make the cake on my birthday, Wednesday, and we'll have it after dinner. It will be fraught with arguments on who gets a bigger piece, and all will be normal again.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger rashbre said...

I think a lot of people are waiting for the new Harry Potter. Jo Rowling was on Jonathan Ross on Friday and said she cried after she'd written one of the chapters near to the end...

Counting down.

And Hiya - Michele sent me!

rashbre

8/7/07 2:48 PM  
Blogger rashbre said...

p.s. liking the site makeover!

8/7/07 2:49 PM  
Blogger Juggling Frogs said...

I'm with you, Margalit!

This is our fourth year sans camp. I look forward to our summer "uncamping" season all year long.

8/7/07 2:58 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Hi Margalit.

This all sounds idyllic. Mind you, it's been so cold and wet here in the UK this summer I had to look up the term 'heat wave' [hehe]

Michele sent me to see how your passing this midsummer with Boy and Girl :-)

cq

8/7/07 3:13 PM  
Blogger BreadBox said...

Hello! Michele didn't send me! (You were two above on the list, but I hadn't seen your name today, so I thought I'd visit you too:-)

Happy Birthday on Wednesday! Hope that it's a good one:-)

N.

8/7/07 3:21 PM  
Blogger JaniceNW said...

Sounds relaxing. How hot is it there? In Seattle, it is supposed to be 95 on Wednesday. You KNOW I won't be leaving my ac!

8/7/07 3:29 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

I love this time of year for precisely the same reason. The pace of life seems to slow down and everyone kinda takes stock of things. Hunkering down against the heat is the order of the day.

I love the spirit of this time of year, and you've captured it beautifully in this entry. Makes me want to head to the shore and take in the sights.

8/7/07 3:57 PM  
Blogger Humor Girl said...

I hear you! But I have no kids and nothing to do so I'm completely bored out of my mind from being lazy. :(

Here via michele.

8/7/07 4:01 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yeah, we're moving into the lazy part of summer over here. Calling everyone in sight to play; that's the only drawback to summer. Definitely hanging at the pool.

Ahh... summer.

Enjoy the quiet and detente among the kids, margalit! Michele sent me.

8/7/07 4:20 PM  
Blogger Bernie said...

Can I come over there...???
I will even bake you a cake, I am good at that, unlike my wife (to which is how/why we came up with our blog's name...)!!!
And the best part of me stopping by, is that it is the middle of winter here, it's wet, and dark and generally yuk!!
Thanks for stopping by as well...
Bernie

8/7/07 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.