HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, July 02, 2007

Time is rarely on my side

I am a procrastinator. A very accomplished procrastinator. Most of the time, it serves me well, being in continual crunch mode. I work better with deadlines. I work better with threats held over my head. I don't know why, I've always been this way. As a kid in school, I never was the kid that came home the day a project was assigned and sat down and planned out what I was going to do. Hardly. I was the kid that waited until the last possible second, then got out the markers and pens and sat down and pushed through that assignment at warp speed. I have not changed one iota.

As a freelancer, I have things I need to do every month. I've got a number of posts to write, some design work to do, and then of course there are all the little tidbits dropped on my desk all during the month. Stuff like forms to fill out, papers to sign, bills to pay. Etc. Do I do them right away? I do not. I let things fester on my desk until about mid month, when I get a 'second wind' and start blasting through all my assignments. For most people, this would seem ineffectual. For me, it is the way that things work best.

This month, for the first time, I upped my posts to my other blogs significantly. I set a goal, and damn if I didn't make that goal. Right on the nose, as a matter of fact. On the last day of the month. Because I am nothing if not a procrastinator.

Now that July is here, I am vowing to up my posting another 5%, and I will attempt to post every day of the month. Or, if I skip a day, I'll post twice the next day. Damn, I scare myself! I'm a freelancer, and I have to up my own ante.

Another thing, I'm going to do more book reviews. I hope to have at least one a week, if not more. I just wrote a new one this evening, on Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. If you haven't read this, and are above the age of 40, you must get this book. It is a poignant look at aging not all that gracefully. I loved it.

Time also bites my ass with regards to certain teenagers that live with me. During the school year, I have plenty of "me time" to write and read and do all these nice quiet activities all by myself. I love my time alone. I've mentioned that I'm the queen of introverts and I like having plenty of time for very quiet pursuits. However, with children home, quiet pursuits don't really happen easily. The Boy starts summer school tomorrow (I'm wiping that smirk off my face, I promise) and the Girl just found out that if she takes a summer school class, she could have a free block during the year, so she might want to take something as well. Man, that would be excellent. Unfortunately, the classes meet at 8 am and run to 10 am, during which time I am fast asleep and do not want to be disrupted unless there is a fire or flood. Sleep counts as "me time", too.

At least they have friends and T passes and can get around town by themselves.

Meanwhile, the Boy has declared that on his birthday (which is also his sister's birthday, although she is not included in his plans), he and some friends are renting canoes, going down the Charles to some island, and are planning to have a party on said island complete with food. I was not invited. Ahem. Will this be happening? Stay tuned.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger JaniceNW said...

Perhaps you'd like a humorous view on teens........check it out at my blog. http//:www.janicenw.blogspot.com.

I think my most recent writing on teenagers will interest you and I'd love your opinion. :)

2/7/07 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.