HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The 9 year old smooth criminal #38


(It's the boy here)

Have you ever gone 4 days without sleeping? Because I have, and let me tell you it can be either the most enjoyable, or most frustrating stretch of time you've ever experienced, depending on how you choose to utilize the time you spend awake.

I used to never be able to get to sleep at night, I'd lie in bed thinking for hours on end (and for a 9 year old with an 8:30 bedtime, and a wildly vivid imagination this can be bliss). Sometimes I would lie in bed all night, but on other, more rare occasions, I would sneak downstairs to watch movies all night. This was no easy task though, with the lightest sleeper on the planet happening to be my sister, and the woman who usually didn't go to bed until 2-3 o'clock for a mother, it proved to be difficult indeed. However for one fortunate streak of four days in a row, my mother went to bed much earlier than usual, at 1:30 (if you have slept in the same house with my mother in the past 6 or 7 years you'll probably gasp at the notion of her going to bed this "early"). So for the first night, I waited for my mom to walk upstairs, read for 20 minutes, and finally turn off the light. The light turning off was usually the 10 minute countdown signal for me anxiously awaiting the night of fun ahead of me. Once I assured myself that the coast was clear, I crept down the staircase with my then "expert" knowledge of where to step on each stair to avoid it creaking. Once I was downstairs I immediately went into the kitchen to microwave myself some popcorn. Now you're probably wondering how I got away with making popcorn (I mean It is POP-corn for a reason). My usual trick for this was to throw my enormous comforter over the microwave (which I'm sure is some sort of safety hazard, but I was 9, I didn't really think about stuff like that). After my food was ready, I would have to decide what movie to watch. Ahhhh yes, the movie picking. For me, picking a movie to watch on nights like that is a precise science. If you pick the wrong movie for the mood you're in, you either end up wasting precious time (which is scarce when you only have 6 hours to have the best time possible) or worse, falling asleep. Falling asleep is the worst possible thing that can happen to you in this situation, because when your mom goes into your room in the morning to wake you up and discovers you missing, she immediately assumes that something dreadful has occurred. Once she finds you asleep on the sofa with that blue screen from when the VCR stopped, you know you're in trouble. However, on this wonderful series of nights, that never happened. Once I picked my movie (which always ended up being Star Wars one way or another) I began to really enjoy myself. I would sometimes completely forget that I was watching a movie, and would just sit on my sofa with my comforter wrapped tightly around my body, marveling in my flawless execution of my brilliant plans to sneak around at night. Eventually Star Wars would end, and I knew I would have to make some more food and choose another movie to watch (and I have been known to take 45+ minutes to choose a movie). My next movie would usually be a comedy of some sorts, usually either Ferris Bueller's Day Off, or a Monty Python movie. After about a half hour through the second movie I would start to feel tired, but For some reason that didn't happen once over these four nights. I would also like to note some off the attention to details I put into my sneaking routine, such as the second movie always being a comedy (I did this because comedies are usually short, so that if I needed to go to sleep before I had planned I wouldn't have to torture myself to keep my eyes open). Anyways I would almost always go to my bed at around 7:30, and lay there thinking about my next night sneaking endeavor. 8:00, at last it was time to wake up..... or so my mother thought.


I repeated this same drill near flawlessly for three more nights in a row, and it ended up being the most enjoyable time I've ever spent just being alone.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger JaniceNW said...

I adore Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I did not even know it existed until I went to college. I introduced my boys to it and my 18yo can quote huge sections of it especially the black knight. I, myself, adore the killer rabbit.

Very ingenious to throw a comforter over the microwave. You might be too smart for your own good.

You did not sleep for 4 days? Was this when the BP was showing up? I know when my 18yo had not slept for a week we were in trouble. He was 17 at the time. I also have a brother who is unipolar in the sense he only goes from hypomanic to manic and back. No depression. Took us 7 years to figure out what the problem was(we thought it was illegal drugs).

One of the coolest things when I was 15(back in the stone age) was that Stars Wars came out on the big screen. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen.

29/7/07 3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.