HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What July 4th means to me

I have made no secret of my interest in politics, international, national and local. I'm a political junky. I taught Government and History for years. I love it. And I loathe it. I love it when I read the theoretical Declaration of Independence that our founding fathers beautifully crafted and then signed, publicly asserting their independence from Britain, from the King, and from tyranny. When I read the Declaration, as I often do (I'm happy to admit I'm a history geek), I get goosebumps thinking about what a difficult situation those founding fathers put themselves into in order to create the USA.

Living in the cradle of liberty, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where the Revolutionary War began, where history is alive for those that choose to visit it, you cannot help being aware of how our nation was founded. Concord and Lexington aren't just names in a history tome, they're living towns with battlefields and monuments to our founding. You can visit Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church in the same neighborhood. You can walk the Freedom Trail and view the history of the United States. Boston is a living, breathing museum of American History.

What I loathe about July 4th is looking at where our government is right now. Today. We are being ruled by a despot who has no regard for the laws of the land. We have an executive branch that is above the law, or at least they act that way. We have a Judicial Branch that is being ruled by the religious right, which seems to have forgotten that the US is NOT a Christian nation and was founded on religious tolerance and liberty. And we have a Legislative Branch that is stalled and unable to make and pass laws because our despotic leader has taken it upon himself to make the rules, despite the will of the people. So much for democracy.

Keith Olbermann, who I wish would be our next President just for his oratory talents, said it brilliantly last night on MSNBC, when he called for the Impeachment of both President Bush and Vice President Cheney in response to the commutation of Scooter Libby's sentence:

I accuse you, Mr. Bush, of lying this country into war.

I accuse you of fabricating in the minds of your own people, a false implied link between Saddam Hussein and 9/11.

I accuse you of firing the generals who told you that the plans for Iraq were disastrously insufficient.

I accuse you of causing in Iraq the needless deaths of 3,586 of our brothers and sons, and sisters and daughters, and friends and neighbors.

I accuse you of subverting the Constitution, not in some misguided but sincerely-motivated struggle to combat terrorists, but to stifle dissent.

I accuse you of fomenting fear among your own people, of creating the very terror you claim to have fought.

I accuse you of exploiting that unreasoning fear, the natural fear of your own people who just want to live their lives in peace, as a political tool to slander your critics and libel your opponents.

I accuse you of handing part of this Republic over to a Vice President who is without conscience, and letting him run roughshod over it.

And I accuse you now, Mr. Bush, of giving, through that Vice President, carte blanche to Mr. Libby, to help defame Ambassador Joseph Wilson by any means necessary, to lie to Grand Juries and Special Counsel and before a court, in order to protect the mechanisms and particulars of that defamation, with your guarantee that Libby would never see prison, and, in so doing, as Ambassador Wilson himself phrased it here last night, of becoming an accessory to the obstruction of justice.

Like Olbermann, I am repulsed by what Bush has done to this country. The people are not better off. The world is certainly not better off. He has done absolutely nothing to bolster the citizens of this country. What he has done is to better his own self interests, further line the pockets of his corrupt friends, and set the country back into the dark ages. He is an embarrassment to all Americans, and to the citizens of the world.

On this July 4th, I implore each and every one of you to listen to Olbermann's entire commentary. I ask you to write to your congressional representatives and call for the impeachment of these two very corrupt individuals. I request that you work to take back this country from the tiny minority of religious zealots who believe that they represent the people. Please. Before it is too late. We're very precariously balanced on the edge of world disaster. Uranium from Myanmar is pouring into Iran and North Korea. Islamic fundamentalists are vowing to take over Indonesia, Malaysia, and the entire Middle East. Islamic fundamentalists are responsible for the wars in the Sudan and Darfur.

We don't have any more time to tut-tut from our couches, people. Action is what is needed. Every one of us needs to do as much as we can to stop this madness before it is too late.

July 4th is the celebration of our country's fight for self-rule. We need to fight that same fight again. We need to get rid of Bush and Cheney, to take back the Supreme Court, and to elect representatives that have the peoples interests first and foremost. We have to take back our country from the tyranny of the religious fundamentalists. It's up to each and every one of you to take action. I'm counting on you.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger carli said...

I watched Olbermann's speech on YOUTUBE last week. He's the real deal. I should watch his show.
And I like the name KEITH.

8/7/07 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.