HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 22, 2007

You know who I blame?

Harry Potter. That's who.

It's the slowest weekend I can ever remember in the blogsphere. People who are inveterate 3 times a day posters have disappeared. People who blog relentlessly, gone. People who don't usually blog often on weekends...they're off laying on their sofas reading. And those that have finished, ahem, well, they're afraid to post anything and spoil it for those that haven't yet received their pre-ordered and PROMISED book from Amazon and it won't come until Monday. So we're all on hold and it's Harry's fault.

I don't know about your neighborhood, but we had 4 different booksellers in town entertaining the young and costumed on Friday night. We don't even have 90K people here, and 4 bookstores were competing for the rights to party Potter-style. The bookstore down the street from me was packed to the gills. The parking lot was full, and then some. At midnight on a Friday night in Jewville. Amazing!

The Boy, who finished the book yesterday, was talking to a visiting friend today and said sadly, "It's the end of my childhood." In a way it is. Harry Potter came out when he was in Kindergarten and I read the first book aloud to them that year. By the time book two came out, in first grade, he read it himself. And he was off and running after that. I bought the first four books from Amazon UK as well as attending the parties at local booksellers. Books 4-7 were basically the same in the US and the UK, so we stopped getting both versions, thus setting up the tradition of being at the release parties well before midnight for our numbers and wristbands.

This last release on Friday night, my kids attended with their friends and not me. It was kind of weird for me. I've always done it, sharing the excitement of the release with them. But as the Boy said, it IS the end of their childhoods. They go places on their own. They drop by for food, bickering, and a place to sleep. It all changed this year, from having kids that depended upon me for most of their entertainment to kids that only depended upon me when they needed something.

It's OK. The quiet is worth the feeling of being left behind. I like how independent they have both become. I love living in a city where they can go pretty much anywhere they need or want to go by public transportation. Having that freedom fosters so much confidence in themselves. They aren't frightened to go places alone, or talk to people they don't know. Scares the shit out of me at the same time. They aren't frightened to go places alone or talk to strangers. Holy crap!

It's Harry's fault, this new independent feeling. My kids are just a bit younger than Harry. He turns 17 in this book, my kids turn 15 in a month. Maybe that's why they so closely identify with this series. They are, in some weird way, experiencing the same things at the same time. Oh, we don't have magic or Voldemort, but we have extremely close friendships, and consistantly trying to solve new problems with new ideas. It's all about maturing, that Potter series. Sure, there's a storyline, but underneath it all, it's about growing up and learning how to manage as an adult in a world that isn't very friendly. Which is just what adolescence is all about.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger Miz UV said...

Hello, Michele sent me! Nice to meet you, Margalit. I have two daughters, 16 and 14, and am going through a similar phase, especially with the older one who now drives and is out and about all the time.

22/7/07 5:44 PM  
Blogger Barrett Laurie--Editor in Chief said...

Hey Margalit! I love your page! We think alot a like! I was thinking this very thing this morning! Traffic is SLOW it must be Potter syndrom! Bless your heart! Thanks for the tachnorati fave and take care!
B~

22/7/07 5:49 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Damn it, woman. Now I'm all weepy.

Fantastic post, Margalit. Really, really great.

22/7/07 7:59 PM  
Blogger thordora said...

Well said. It's a rite of passage in a world almost devoid of any.

22/7/07 10:10 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

"It's the end of my childhood."

Wow. I feel like it's an end of an era for me too, but I was already an adult when this whole thing started!

22/7/07 11:41 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

It was truly unbelievable how slow things were this weekend, and I was definitely one of the guilty ones. Got my copy the moment the store opened yesterday morning (had to wait since they weren't open on Shabbat) and finished it by bedtime!

I'm pretty sentimental about the end of an era myself, and I'm definitely a lot older than a teenager.

23/7/07 12:42 AM  
Blogger The Hotfessional said...

I was ready to kill the mailman on Saturday because I was afraid it wasn't going to be delivered. But honestly, I can relate. It seems the end of an era.

23/7/07 12:19 PM  
Blogger myminivanisfasterthanyours said...

I remember back around the time the first Harry book came out. I was teaching middle school and some parents around the country were wanting the book banned due to the witchcraft issues. I was just glad my students were reading!

Maybe one of these days I should actually start that series, huh?!

23/7/07 3:53 PM  
Blogger cape buffalo said...

that was beautiful! I haven't slept in 3 days because I've been up reading. I feel rushed, cheated. Not just of sleep, but the sole reason I'm plowing through this book when all I want to do is savor it is because I'm afraid I'll hear what happens.

Hubby and I bought books 1 and 2 when our Kiddo was an infant. We took turns reading them to one another when we were trying (and failing) to sleep train her. We've read all of them aloud as a family until this one. We bought two copies ;)

24/7/07 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Becky68 said...

I understand where you're comming from on the departure of your kids. I'm going through the same thing with my 17 year old- I have 2 more in the house & in some ways view it as a clearing out- time to be able to pay more attention to the younger two- but I miss my daughter when she's only here to change & go out again or get some dinner before being off to annother friend's house for an overnight!

24/7/07 5:21 PM  
Blogger Flutterby said...

And we do have Voldemorts... just not magical imaginary ones. They are all too real in this world today.

26/7/07 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.