HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2007

Checking things off the list

I admit that I've had a remarkably lazy summer considering the fact that I've got one fairly out-of-control kid that needs an amazing amount of extra care. We've done a few good things, we've done a few busy things, but mostly we've been connecting as a family, working on our social skills, and trying our hardest to have fun under some tough circumstances. I think we've done pretty darn well on that front.

As school and fall approach however, there is business to attend to. A lot of forms to fill out for various and sundry programs. A lot of things to buy, and even more to sell. So what does this all mean?

Sunday we did 12 loads of laundry. Around 200 lbs of laundry. Many many plastic bags of laundry. Some of it piled up due to the hot water heater issue, which was fixed today. But most of it was clothing that had been hidden behind beds and under dressers and in closets. Some of it was bagged up last year and stuck away in the attic where I 'forgot' about it. But it's all of the clothing the kids have grown out of, and it's going up on Ebay. Clean, in good condition, and tomorrow we spend a couple of hours photographing it. I think we have enough stuff to turn a pretty penny, which would be great for school clothing.

Today we picked up a new boxspring and mattress from a family turning their guest room into a circus school. You read that right. Totally interesting people, too. I really like the whole Freecycle thing where you meet all these people you never before knew existed. It's way cool.

We brought the boxspring and mattress upstairs into the Boy's room, and made it up. He finally has a bed he won't complain about. Yahoo. This kid is like the Prince and the Pea. But this is a new, heavy duty Sealy mattress and should last him a while.

This afternoon we drove to a town I've never set foot in to pick up an Ikea dresser for the Girl. She donated her old dresser to the downstairs bathroom because it was too small and she had totally killed it. An antique oak dresser, it's in great shape except for the top, so the whole thing needs to be stripped. That's a fall project. I like to reclaim furniture. I also like to get furniture for free.

I mailed out the backpacks I sold on Ebay, and now am about to mail out some other items that I've had up for sale.

The best thing about cleaning out the clutter is knowing that you'll get your money back on Ebay. I decided that the only way I'm ever going to get the kind of stuff the kids need as they go off to college is by selling what we have today. A friend of mine in Washington has been cleaning out his workshop for about 6 months now (can you say SERIOUS packrat) and is making about $1000/month just on stuff in his workshop.

As the clutter is reduced, and we have a LONG way to go, I feel happier knowing that I'm not going to drown in kids crap.

Also today, we had a visit from a gorgeous golden retriever and his mom. He had lost his tag and the Girl found it, so I called the number to return the tag and they were so surprised. I was afraid that when a tag is found, a dog is lost. Turns out that Boomer is an expert at losing tags. Worthless Pet almost had heart failure when he saw the dog and immediately sunk his claws into the Girl's ingrown toenail. What a fracus ensue! Dog barking, cat hissing, Girl screaming. WP really hates dogs.

The Boy seems marginally better. Still a way to go, but this medication is starting to work. However, he is eating so much that it's frightening. The Girl and I didn't eat at home all day today. Not one dish was used by us. Tonight the sink was completely piled up with dishes and when I told him to do them he was highly insulted until I reiterated that every plate, glass and piece of silverware was his and his alone. Hard to fight reality. He tried, of course, but it's still hard.

I'm starting to look forward to apples. It's gotten chilly and crisp for the past few days and it's starting to feel like fall. It will get hot again, but I keep thinking apple crisp would be good about now!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger JaniceNW said...

Yup. The meds really up the appetite. Very common side effect. Glad, maybe, he's beginning to calm down.

HUGS!

20/8/07 11:29 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Have you ever sold stuff on Craigslist? I'm just wondering if you get more from them or from Ebay. I have some baby stuff I could sell. It would be nice to get a little money out of the stuff.

I was driving by an orchard today and had the same thoughts about apple crisp. Mmm. I love fall.

21/8/07 12:20 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

I was thinking just the other day that apple crisp would be a good idea.

26/8/07 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.