HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Going Uphill Slowly, Very Slowly

After my chat with the Boy yesterday, he seemed to finally get how seriously I'm taking the current situation, and has made an effort to turn things around. It is slow going. He is a teenager, first and foremost, and even the best, most mentally healthy teenager is a dofus much of the time. But the point is, he's making an effort. That's big.

Right now, he is... wait, hold on...you're sitting down, right?.....deep cleansing breath here.....

Cleaning his room! I KNOW. I'm just as stunned as you are. But it gets even better. He voluntarily came downstairs for the broom and dustpan. Is that not unbelievable? I even talked him into putting a sheet on his bed. He hates sheets. He's got sensory issues, and any wrinkle in a sheet drives him nuts. Try finding a sheet that does not wrinkle. Mostly he chooses to sleep on a bare mattress, something I find beyond distasteful, but this has always been one of those 'pick your battles' issues for me. So many other things are distasteful about him, including the fact that his room looks much like the homes of tsunami victims after the flood, that sleeping without a sheet seems kind of petty in the long run.

This afternoon I am going to take him to meet up with his Girlfriend (haven't mentioned her yet, have I?) at the mall. I detest malls. I will drop him off, and then the Girl, her crazy friend S, and I will head off to Target to check out the underwear. I'm in desperate need of underwear that does not have holes, stains, or shredding elastic. Oh, and that is the right size. Large drops in weight tend to leave you with underwear only good for giving you wedgies. Who knew?

He will be mooney and depressed after seeing the Girlfriend, but that's a huge improvement over angry and aggressive. Yup.

In other news on the homefront, the Girl appears to have blown up our stove AND broken the door to the dishwasher in one fell swoop. She is a child of great talents, that one! She shorted out the stove by shoving the pizza stone into the warming drawer where it fell behind the drawer. She says a big bolt of white light came out, and now the stove has no electricity. Yeah, I'm THRILLED with this news. Plus, the dishwasher door is now hanging off. I hate that dishwasher with such a passion that I'm actually hoping it needs to be replaced. We'll see.

I highlighted the Girl's hair last night, and mostly it looks good except for one spot, right in front, of course, that looks patchy. So I suggested she dye that magenta. She's up for that! It will look great.

Lastly, I slept for more than 8 hours, woke up feeling so much less congested due to very cool, delightfully dry air, and my feet are almost back to normal. Or what plays for normal with my heart issues. But I feel better!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Anonymous jo said...

My parents probably would have fainted on the spot if I voluntarily cleaned my room. Once in awhile my dad would come in my room and tip over my floor to ceiling bookcase on to the floor and forcibly make me clean it and sort through everything. Of course now, i find myself obsessing with anything being out of place. Oh how the tides turn. Sounds like he did realize his guilt. have you ever tried satin sheets? I know, I know, but I used to adore them as a kid, drove my Mom crazy, but for tactile issues they are great.
This air change is just so nice!! As an asthmatic I love it because I finally feel like I'm not breathing under water.

11/8/07 1:16 PM  
Anonymous bethany actually said...

Glad to hear things are improving. I hope they stay better!

11/8/07 2:23 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Jo,

For some strange reason, I seem to have forgotten that satin sheets even exist. I've tried flannel, jersey, and high count cotton, and all of those have been 'too wrinkly'. I even tried plain polar fleece, but that bothered him because it bunched up due to not have the fitted sheet corners. But satin sheets. Hmmmmm, do they even MAKE them for single beds?

11/8/07 6:05 PM  
Blogger Michael Manning said...

This was funny in that it reminded me of being a pre-teen. Being seen inthe "Mall" was considered "cool" because we knw all the girls were there.

11/8/07 9:14 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm glad things are looking up.

And cleaning his room? That's huge.

12/8/07 1:25 AM  
Blogger madamspud169 said...

So you're a mom that thinks magenta hair dye is a good idea.
I think that makes you a "cool, hip" mama well it does in my nieces eyes

12/8/07 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.