HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 12, 2007

This Stoveless Life

Being stoveless, even for a day or two, is beyond confining. I have no idea of how to eat without a stove. Everything we have needs to be cooked. Not that unusual, since I tend to cook every meal anyhow. But what do you eat when you have no hob and no oven? Sandwiches. That gets old fast. Bagels. We're right out, and really, how much carbohydrates can one body tolerate before going on strike? Fruit. Just about polished off an entire fruitbowl of nectarines, plums, pluots, bananas, melons, and avocados.

So far today I've had raw almonds. Now I happen to love raw almonds, they're very heart healthy, and they taste good. Sort of boring after a while, but I like them. The Girl was out with friends most of the day and had two meals of pizza. One with pickles on the pizza. Can you imagine anything more disgusting?

The Boy nuked himself a package of TJ's frozen fettucini alfredo for lunch and was happy to have it. That stuff is liquid gold with noodles. It is so rich and yummy.

I want to bake. I can't even think of a time I've gone this long without making muffins or a quick bread or even a yeast bread. I bake pretty much every day. Without my oven, I'm a lost soul.

The Girl went to a fancy schmancy downtown Boston mall today and brought me back the most thoughtful and lovely present. As soon as she walked into the house I could smell something delicous. It was two bars of lemon verbena soap from L'Occitane, a very chic store selling products from Provence. That soap smells so good I just want to take a very long bath in a big huge bubbly tub. A tub I do not have, btw. But oh, the smell can make you cry with joy. Delicious. What a lovely and unexpected gift. She's so generous with her measly earnings, my girl. Unlike her other half, who can't give away a bit of chocolate without strings attached. The generous and the miserly. One more reason to wonder if they didn't get a full set of genes.

I'm reading the two required summer reading books for the kids. The Girl has to read Nickel and Dimed, which is interesting, but not for a high school kid who doesn't really care all that much about the politics of poverty in America. It SHOULD be required reading for every person that ever utters the words "Welfare Cheat" or "Get a Job" though. I can think of a few people that should be chained to the wall and force-fed this book for a few months until they get off their self-righteous asses. The Boy must read Passing, which is more relevant and a bit less academic, but still would bring up broad and interesting discussion in a advanced Literature classroom setting. It's about black women who passed for white around WWI, and how they were perceived by both the white and black communities. Neither kid has read their required books yet. But I could pass their first day tests, no problem!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Shan said...

Last summer we lived without a stove for a very long time. It was hell and something I hope never to repeat. You have my sympathies.

12/8/07 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.