HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, September 28, 2007

This Old House

I finally remember what I wanted to tell you all, but completely slipped out of my head due to... oh, you know what it's due to.

The newest season of This Old House is doing on old Victorian in our town. This isn't the first time that I've lived very close to a TOH house being redone. About 13 years ago they did another green Victorian that was only a few blocks from our old house. They did a huge renovation on that place, down to the driveway, and we got to watch a lot of it going on. We met Norm Abrams and saw a bunch of the construction guys doing their work. It took months and months to finish the house and they did a remarkable job.


I also worked close to the house that killed Bob Villa. Oh, he's still alive, but no longer with the show after that house, which was so over budget that he got canned. And I've seen that barn house they did a few years back, which is on the same road as the place where we go raspberry picking.

The house they're going to do now was recently bought by a young couple with a growing family and they want to completely update the house. I can't wait to see the project start and I'll try to get some before, during, and after photos as the project moves forward.

This is a rather typical house in our city. We have a lot of large shingled Victorians which are considered very desirable housing despite their smallish rooms and often ancient plumbing, heating, and electric systems. Redoing a home of this size and age is a huge undertaking, as you can imagine, and it's going to be interesting to watch what they'll do to retain the charm of the house whilst updating it to reflect more modern life situations.

The new show starts on Oct 4, and is repeated often through the week. I tend to watch TOH very late at night, when PBS replays all their shows several times over.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Rhea said...

I've never seen one of those TV houses in progress. I'll have to drive over and find it.

28/9/07 8:51 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I'll have to watch that. I enjoy that show, even more now that Bob Vila's gone. He annoyed me. He was smug with a capital SMUH.

28/9/07 1:04 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I love those kind of shows, although I admit I don't watch it as much now that I have HGTV. If I lived close to a house like that I'd be there all the time.

28/9/07 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.