HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Can you say "World Series"? I can!

Holy crap. It looked like we were down for the count only a few days ago. But my beloved Red Sox do not shy away from a challenge. In fact, they relish a comeback. Remember the playoffs in 2004? Well, they did it again this year. Cleveland was strong, but the Nation is stronger. The Nation will be going to the World Series and I will be in a baseball daze for days to come.

I'm not afraid of the Rockies. I think it will be a more interesting series than 2004, which was, if you recall, a total sweep. But I don't think that the Rockies have what it takes to beat the Sox. Right now, the Sox are playing at the top of their game. The fact that J.D. Drew, who has been somewhat useless all year, hit a grand slam, shows that they're reaching new heights. Even Dice-K pitched well tonight, despite all of the Nation's fears. And Shilling? Wow, did he step up to the plate yesterday. Coco Crisp continues to disappoint, but Ellesbury has been an excellent replacement.

I love baseball. No, can you tell? From April until the fall, I live and breath the Red Sox. I don't even know why this game has such a hold on me. I mean, I'm so not the type to spend hours watching sports of any kind on TV. I don't even watch the Olympics. I find most TV sports coverage to be terribly annoying. I don't like the announcers, I don't like the sob stories, I don't like the beer commercials. But baseball? Watching Papi in his silly poncho and swim goggles before the champaign starts to flow. Watching Manny grin like a little boy as another batter runs home. Seeing the whole team crowd onto the field jumping like little boys when they win the pennant. It's magical. It's American. It's apple pie. And I love it. It brings me to tears watching teammates hug each other. It's the ultimate American melting pot: Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, and Whites all hugging each other with such joy.

For me, baseball is a family sport. It isn't a guy's domain at all. Little kids come with their moms to the ball park, eager to root on their favorite team. Everyone singing "Tessie" together, people in the stands hugging their neighbors. Maybe football and basketball are like this, but I don't think so. Baseball is the game that becomes the great equalizer. It has fans from every nationality, every age group. It isn't gender specific. It's just amazingly fun to watch and participate in.

We're going to the world series. We're going to the World Series AGAIN. My kids will never know the pain of rooting for a team that never wins. It's a great sport, and the Sox are a great team. Thank you Tito, for providing me with such great entertainment and such hope. Thank you Josh Beckett for winning the MVP. Thank you Red Sox for winning the American League Championship. I love you all.

Let's Go Red Sox!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

i'm not gonna lie but i did want the indians to win it... only because i want some other team to win it other than bosox and the yankees.. and i dont know if the rockies will be able to beat the sox but oh well.. one can only hope..

21/10/07 11:34 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

So
Friggin'
Excited!

It's not a fluke, like all those gripers have said. I was sort of shocked at the level of hatred that the Red Sox and their fans generate.

22/10/07 12:06 AM  
Anonymous FeeFiFoto said...

Mazel Tov! Since our team didn't make the playoffs this year we're rooting for the Sox.

22/10/07 8:53 AM  
Blogger Jendeis said...

Had to come over as soon as I found out -- congrats on the World Series! Now try getting some serious sleeptime in so that you can watch every minute. :)

22/10/07 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a fake fan. a real fan wouldn't be whining about having lost with games left in a series. you and your ilk are why i hate red sox nation.

22/10/07 11:06 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Dear anon,

When you learn how to read, and to post your name instead of hiding behind anonyminity, then maybe I'll debate my 4 generations of Red Sox love in my genetic makeup. Until them, fuck off.

23/10/07 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.