HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 05, 2007

Washington Trip sounds FUN!

My kids have both got their heart's set on taking school trips this year. Ahem. The Boy wants to go to Prague, which is so not happening and now the girl has a hankering to go on a DC trip in March. She's so fired up, and she's sitting here as I type telling me all about it. Of course the school trip, which is in conjunction with many other schools around the country, will be touring all the sights in the District. She wants to meet our Congressman Barney Frank, who lives in our freaking town and she's met before anyhow, but I can't tell her that. She wants to see the Capitol and the White House. She likes history a lot and she'll get a lot out of the trip. But.... I have some reservations. You see, she has visions that a school trip is like camp in a foreign location. Which is kinda is, and kinda is not. I mean, she's expected to learn stuff, which might be quite the bummer.

It sounds like fun. I'm happy to have her go. She can get a 50% off scholarship, but she has to earn a fat chunk of change in order to take the trip. I can't pay for it. She knows that. It's ridiculously expensive. They stay in a 4-star hotel. They take the metro to a shopping mall. You know, all that historical stuff! She so cracks me up.

I told her to get more information, which she will tomorrow, and we'll figure out a way for her to go if we possibly can. But the image of her wandering around Dupont Circle looking for the cool shops when all the other kids are viewing the Vietnam War Memorial does tend to make me want to hurl.

My kids have never been on a school trip. Enlighten me, people. How crazy do they get? Tell me your tales of school trips gone asunder.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Anonymous bethany actually said...

I did Close-Up way back in 1991, and it was fantastic! It was my first visit to D.C., and I still have vivid, fond memories of it. I think the Girl would enjoy it. When I was there, at least, the agenda was a nice balance of malls/historical sites/discussion groups. We were required to do some work, but it was mostly fun stuff.

5/10/07 7:15 PM  
Blogger talia said...

I'm a pretty liberal mom EXCEPT when it comes to this stuff. I'd either be chaperoning that trip or striking a deal w/a friend who would chaperone/parent the trip in my absentia. Natalie Hollaway ring a bell? Sorry, but this stuff makes me lose sleep. Kids making bad decisions while under their parents roof is one thing. Kids making a bad decision in another state is another.

5/10/07 8:49 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Bethany,

It's good to know that they might have mentioned malls in the presentation today. Because otherwise I would be fearful of sending her on a trip where she thinks shopping is the main attraction. Especially with her richy rich friends. That could be a disaster in the making.

5/10/07 11:58 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

Although we had CloseUp at my H.S. I didn't do it - BUT, what I did do was the National High School Journalism Convention 2 years in a row. I had so much fun, and learned so much these two trips - one in S.F. and one in Phoenix (may have been a West Coast conf.?) I ended up the News Editor of my paper Senior year and also went to UofO (good J school here in NW) on scholarship.

5/10/07 11:59 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I got a pretty big scholarship to attend an exchange program in France in high school, but I had to work for the rest of it. It was an incredible experience though.

6/10/07 5:40 AM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Have her go to DC if you can swing it, seriously. I've long thought it should be mandatory viewing for school children. Plus, even if she does wander around Dupont looking for cool shops, she'll get a fantastic education about integrated gay cultures in major urban areas. I stay in Dupont every time I go to DC.

6/10/07 7:02 AM  
Anonymous amy324 said...

My oldest son went on a DC trip when he was 16 and had a great time. They had a lot of unsupervised time, rode the metro by themselves, etc. The school has a zero-tolerance policy and any errant kids would have been put on the next flight back to Chicago. I'd say it depends on the individual child's track record of making smart decisions, knowing to stay in a group, and such. Pretty soon they will be in college (at 17 in our case) and making all these decisions on their own. Oh - and their return flight was canceled and they spent the night in National airport. Interesting life lesson.

6/10/07 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.