HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 12, 2007

Apple Cranberry Pecan Stuffing

I made this recipe up, so the measurements are iffy. Just keep tasting the stuffing to see if it's 'right' for your tastebuds before you bake it. We're a family that loves stuffing. I make a lot of it, because it's better left over when all the flavors have a chance to mingle with turkey, cranberry sauce and a tad bit of gravy on rye bread. The Moist Maker sandwich. Anyone know where that name comes from?

As for bread cubes, I've made my own, I've used Pepperidge Farm plain, I've used the flavored ones. The flavored ones are too salty for my taste, the plain ones work fine, but making your own is really magnificent. To make the bread cubes you'll need 2 or 3 boules, french bread. I choose the Iggy's Sourdough, and use one whole wheat and one white.

Cut up your bread into small cubes and place into large bowl.
Mix together some olive oil (maybe 1/4 cup), fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano that has been finely chopped. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes to lightly coat them. Spread them out onto cookie sheets and bake for about 10 minutes until lightly toasted at 250 F. When they are crispy on the outside and dry on the inside, they're done.

Put the toasted bread cubes back into your very large bowl and set aside.

For the stuffing you'll need:

1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup roughly chopped TOASTED pecans
1 cup chopped apples
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
chopped parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and sage
1 box Kosher chicken stock, low sodium (I use Tabechnick brand)
1/2 stick melted margerine (If you don't keep Kosher, use butter)

Combine all the DRY ingredients together. Mix well to ensure that everything is distributed well. Then pour on the melted margerine, and start adding the chicken stock slowly while mixing. You do not want to soak the breadcrumbs to the point of them acting like sponges, but you want enough liquid to keep the stuffing moist. It's a personal decision as to how squishy you like your stuffing. I like mine with a bit of crunch but mostly well moistened. I use almost the entire box of stock.

Add salt and pepper to taste. I don't add any salt, as the herbs are so fragrant that they replace the salt, but some people want a saltier taste, and that's fine.

Spread evenly in a shallow baking dish. I use one of those polish ceramic oval baking dishes, and the stuffing looks beautiful in it, but a glass pyrex dish will work just fine.

Bake for at least an hour, or until the stuffing has a crunchy top and is soft and squishy inside, lightly browned. It will smell amazing as it's baking. It's really fragrant. Serve while still warm, right out of the oven.

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger kip said...

Cool blog. We seem to agree on a few things; I'm about as liberal as they come, even though I'm not much of a writer, I support them, huge Sox fan, and your recipes are making me hungry!

13/11/07 12:31 AM  
Blogger Jendeis said...

The Moisture Maker! It's from Friends. "You threw out my sandwich? My sandwich? MY SANDWICH?! (pigeons scattering)"

This looks delicious!

13/11/07 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Neener said...

Mmmmmm, cranberries in the dressing. Now why didn't I think of that?

13/11/07 10:10 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Yum. I love cranberries, all year round. In the stuffing? It has possibilities.

13/11/07 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.