HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cruise Ship Sinks, Titanic Theme Becomes Earworm

The second I saw that news story on the cruise ship that hit a submerged iceberg off Antarctica, I got that damn Titanic theme song stuck in my ear. Celine Dion does not a nice ear worm make. I'm not a fan of Celine. She makes incredibly creepy faces when she sings, and I don't particularly like either her voice or her choice of songs. But no matter what, she's associated forever with the Titanic story, much to my chagrin. I'm old enough to remember when Titanic meant A Night To Remember, a movie that in my mind did a lot better in conveying the tragedy of the sinking of this magnificent ship on her maiden trans Atlantic voyage.


Regardless, what an amazing story. A cruise ship with hundreds of tourists aboard hits a submerged iceberg in broad daylight. The ship begins listing, even though the bilge pumps continue to work. The passengers disembark into the lifeboats in the middle of the freezing sea, float around for several hours before being picked up by a Norwegian rescue ship. Nobody is hurt, nobody suffers from hypothermia, nobody dies. I bet they were scared to death, but the fact is, the system worked just like it's supposed to. Communications weren't ignored, the bilge pumps worked long enough for a complete evacuation of the ship, and then long afterwards, the passengers and crew didn't panic, there were enough life boats for everyone... it all worked correctly. Now we don't have to fear another Titanic disaster because lessons were learned, for once, and what could have been a terrible tragedy was instead a Wow! Amazing! story instead.

But I still can't get rid of that damn earworm!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Today the Girl had a bunch of friends over. She had so much fun, but at one time there were 6 teenagers in the house, which is a bit of an overload. They were all well-behaved once the Boy and his friends all left (3 more transient visitors) to hang out at someone else's house. I realized today that we were once again the place to hang out, albeit only one group at a time. The Girl and the Boy have very different friends, and they don't get along well together. I'm trying to get them to respect each other's choices in friends, but mostly they don't care to. As long as they aren't rude to each other, that's fine. They don't have to be best buddies. But they do have to be polite and cordial.

The Girl's friends baked some cupcakes but got stuck on making the frosting, which I had to do for them. They are all so used to eating canned frosting, an abomination I will not even allow in my house, that they don't like the taste of butter cream icing. So disappointing to see. I don't get why they would rather eat a package of chemicals than sugar, butter, and some lemon juice. Go figure.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Black Friday. Do not get it. I saw on the news the stampede at some mall in Idaho. WHY? Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me? I like bargains as much as the next person, but honestly, 4 am? What the F? Whatever you save in money, is it worth it to risk life and limb? Why not just shop online? I had a couple of things to purchase today, which I did online at a highly reduced price and in the comfort of my own home. Do you actually find things for so much cheaper that it's worth the trouble of standing on line at 3:30 am for a 4 am opening at Kohls? KOHLS? Please tell me why you would do this. I honestly don't get it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Camera advice. Is it worth it to get a 2 gig memory card for a 7.2 megapixel camera? Or is a 1 gig card enough? I know the higher the pixels, the more memory you need, but don't you download pictures instead of keeping them on the memory card. Right now, every time I download my pictures, I delete them from the memory card. Isn't that common practice? Why would I want to keep my pictures on the memory card? Oh, my pictures are on a remote hard drive, so that they're safe from any terrible disaster that might befall my elderly computer. We also have a 2 gig flash drive that carries pictures the kids like to carry around with them (one of the perqs of my former job was free flash drives). I guess I'm wondering what reason you would need for a bigger memory card AND how you should store your .jpgs longterm. Anyone?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

I can.not.stand that Celina Dion song. It is a well-known fact in my family, LOL. So glad to meet someone else who hates it too. I thought I was alone.

I do not understand ANY kind of shopping frenzy that involves me using my own money. I definitely do not get malls.

I have a 2 gig memory card but I take almost all my photos at highest resolution. It doesn't take long to fill up. I do delete but seriously, one event can fill it for me.

It depends on the type of photos you take and how you use your card.

Julie
Using My Words

24/11/07 8:48 AM  
Blogger moon said...

Yeah I agree, the 2 gig lets u use highest quality pics..I don't have 2 gig, but would love it. I empty the camera all the time.
As for the shopping, omg I really don't get it either. We don't have black friday in Canada..our thanksgiving is in oct..but we do have Boxing day...pretty much the same thing happens...I don,t get that either lol.

24/11/07 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.