HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Fried Potato Pancakes and Donuts?

Can I just begin with a big giant Urp! I love being Jewish. I really do. But the Jews are trying to kill me. Have you ever heard of a Jewish holiday celebrated with a salad and some fruit for dessert? Of course not. We Jews like to eat. We like to eat nice heavy food. Especially if we're askenazi Jews. We believe strongly in the potato. We like big heavy meats. Brisket. YUM! We like salty fish. Can't beat lox. We live on carbs. Bread, bagels, potatos, etc. This is not the diet of a diabetic. It is not the diet for the dieter in general. It is the diet of big eaters, and unfortunately, I'm among the big eaters when it comes to Jewish holiday food. I can't help it, it's in the genes.

Last night I made a huge platter of latkes. Latkes are fried potato pancakes. I happen to love them, as do my kids. One or two isn't ever enough. We really really like them. Served with sour cream and applesauce, how can you go wrong? Unfortunately, you can go wrong. Very very wrong. You can eat way too many latkes because you forget that they're going to sit like lead in your belly. You scarf them down like you're starving, and then a couple of hours later you realize that you have just gained 20 lbs in oil, starch, and artery clogging dairy products. It is not a happy feeling.

This morning I woke up and I was still full. I couldn't eat anything until almost 2 pm. Tonight I'm making a stir fry with a lot of veggies. And sufganiyot (donuts) for dessert. Erp!

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne Bradshaw said...

Latkes sound delicious! In moderation, maybe, but I'm going to look out for them. I love learning about new-to-me foods. That Cuban dish further down sounds good, too. Thanks for sharing.

6/12/07 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Mom on Coffee said...

Sounds absolutely delicious!

Mind sharing your recipe to a Irish Christian lady who's family's idea of "Holiday Food" is boiled into nothing meat and veggies?

6/12/07 10:54 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I love latkes. I made these last weekend and my kids scarfed them down. Sadly, I didn't have applesauce or sour cream on hand, but they didn't seem to mind.

I love Jewish food...I just wish I could find a place out here in WASP heaven that sold decent bagels. I haven't found a one. It's probably better for my waistline (ha, what waistline?) but I do miss them.

6/12/07 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.