HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Grinchville, USA

I've never seen the Grinch, being one of those rare people that completely avoid any Christmas specials like the plague. I have no interest in them. That's OK, I don't watch any other holiday specials, either. Not Halloween, not Thanksgiving, not Easter. I find them... well, boring. But I know enough about the Grinch to know that apparently he and his ilk live in our town. Either that or there is some decree that I don't know about to pass on the Christmas lights this year.

I don't celebrate Christmas, but like any other sane person, I like looking at the lights. I love seeing those crazy houses with all the snow globes and Santas on the roof. I love when people try to out-do their neighbors in the lights. I like pretty white flickering lights in the bare trees, and on the shrubbery. I like seeing big decorated trees peeking behind curtains in the big Victorian houses on the main streets. I'm not picky when it comes to lights, I just like when people make the effort to provide their community with a bit of holiday cheer.


But this year? It's anti-HoHoHo around here. There are hardly any lights out yet. And what's out there is kinda pathetic. It's as if they've given up on trying to be cheerful or something. I thought that maybe it's our part of town, better known as JewVille, but even so, not everyone is Jewish. So tonight, when I was driving from one corner of the city to another with the Boy, we looked long and hard to see any displays. There was something pretty at the Greek Church, of course. But the other Churches we past? Nada. We did see one house with a particularly interesting display, a lighted hockey player. Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like a hockey player. The Boy and I decided that this must be a Canadian family. Or maybe the elves have a hockey league we just don't know about. Whatever.


I know about the house on the Arbor Way that is uber decorated. I saw it last year and hope to get by there again this year. It's one of THOSE houses, the ones with 50,000 lights blinking on and off in time to some Christmas melody. It's good, but it isn't great. Not like that street in Los Altos where every house on the cul-de-sac is decorated with white lights and reindeer and it's so pretty it almost brings you tears as you ooooh and aaaaaah down the street. Or the Willow Glen houses in San Jose that are so beautifully decorated and invite people to stroll around the neighborhood looking at all the decorations. Strange that California, where there isn't ever a white Christmas, or even cold weather, excels in the holiday decorating when our area of Boston is so understated as to be negligible.



Let's get on it folks. I need some bright lights, and so do you. You can't let Cali-frigging-fornia beat Boston in holiday light tackiness. If you know of any spectacular light displays in Boston, please post them and link back to me. I want to see where the good stuff is.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

I think when you live in a place that can naturally look like a Rockwell poster for Picturesque Winter Wonderland your motivation is a little lesser than those of us who, say, live in the subtropics and resort to FLOCKING for snow effect. ;)

People go NUTSO for the holiday season here. (Someone call Chevy Chase.)

In tank tops and shorts.

Julie
Using My Words

12/12/07 1:14 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

i live in that oh so christmasy town of willow glen, california. it's extra special even when i don't feel like i am in the holiday mood because our neighborhood captains live right next door to me, so i have to play along whether i want to or not.

12/12/07 4:49 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Barbie2Be, don't feel bad. I have several friends in that neighborhood that are all Jewish, and they are forced, yes FORCED to put that damn little Christmas tree on their front lawns. I think that's appalling, but what can you do when the whole town does it?

I used to love going to that house that did up their willow tree, but then when it sold the new people didn't anymore, which was a shame.

There are a LOT of O jews in that neighborhood, seeing as there are two O congregations and one traditional C one (which we belonged to) there. I just don't get why it's so hard to leave them alone.

13/12/07 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.