HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, December 08, 2007

You know what loud really sounds like?

I know, shrieking 2 year olds are loud. Tantruming 4 year olds are loud. Kids in playgrounds are loud. But they are not nearly as loud as 6 teenagers playing Cranium in a small living room. Oh my aching head! The laughter, the yelling, the teasing, the name calling.... that is the epitome of loud. It's loud on a grand scale. Happy loud, but loud.



I'm glad that the Boy has such good friends. I'm happy that those kids feel comfortable about coming over for an afternoon and evening of fun. It's all good and so I don't say "no" very often, if ever. But the noise level is just astounding. The noisiest, by far, is the Boy. His friends are after him all the time to turn the volume down. He talks constantly, though directions. He argues with them. He's so "on" all the time that's it's exhausting for all concerned. But they put up with it because he's fun and he's smart and he's good at games. Nevertheless, I won't play with him anymore because he gets so loud and obnoxiously competitive that it's not fun for me.

Cranium is a great game for teens. We got it when the kids were younger, and they didn't really like it that much. It's honestly not made for little kids, it's much more of an adult game. But it allows teens to get their crazies out in a very structured way, and thus it's a game that I recommend for households where teens gather. One of the things I like about the game is that kids with all different talents can find something to excel in. If your kid is an artist, the drawing clues are perfect. If your kid is good at music, those humdingers are a riot. If you have a good speller, nothing like spelling words backwards to get them all hot and bothered. There really is something for everyone in Cranium.



We have a lot of board games in our house. It's great way for teens to have fun without screens. Mostly my kids choose Monopoly, Cranium, or Scrabble as games to play with friends. But we've got some other games that I like to encourage as well, like Boggle, Trivial Persuit, and Mastermind. All of those are games that could be considered 'educational' but are really fun as well. My favorite board game, by far, is Clue. I love Clue(do). It's hilariously funny to play with other adults, especially after a few drinks when you're particularly silly. Years ago, I used to go up to the Maine coast to visit friends who were Clue crazy, and we would play for hours. You've never seen such crazy competitive Clue players. They were cutthroat.


One game I won't have in my house is Risk. I cannot be trusted around a Risk game. I get so competitive that I'm honestly not fit to be around other humans. I know my limits. Risk goes over the edge for me. I am known for throwing a Risk game out of a third floor window when I didn't get what I wanted. Besides, who wants their kids to learn about world domination?


What games do you play with your family? And who is the big cheater in your household. Ahem. I admit it. I'm the big cheater. I really am. :-)

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger PI said...

Monopoly and Scrabble have always been family favourites. My husband taught me to play gin rummy but when I started to beat him he lost interest. I think family games are very commendable. The family that plays together, stays together.
Michele says hello!

8/12/07 6:27 PM  
Anonymous joe said...

I love playing Cranium. In fact, it's one of the few games I still have around the house. Risk is great too if you have hours and hours to devote to the game!

Michele sent me

8/12/07 7:37 PM  
Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

We had Cranium in the house for when my stepdaughters came to visit, but I think we got rid of it because they lost interest. I never actually played it with them. Now I'm kind of sorry!

Anyway, wanted to stop by and wish you a happy holiday. I'm outta here for a month at the end of the week. Have a wonderful time and HAVE FUN!

Michele sent me, but I was heading over on my own anyway!


LAST GIRL ON EARTH

9/12/07 12:08 AM  
Anonymous bethany actually said...

Boggle, Scattergories, Scrabble, and one other one I can't remember the name of, and I am too lazy to go upstairs and look at the box. :-)

9/12/07 1:34 AM  
Blogger Shash said...

we play all of those games, and even bought the RISK for the PS2. My husband is insanely cutthroat with that game. Cranium Pop5 is also one of our family favorites!

Anything that has any references to the '80's no one will play with me, because I smoke the competition. It's ugly.

Glad the kids enjoyed Cranium!!!

Shash

10/12/07 9:32 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Trivial Pursuit (I'm the trivia whiz in the house) and Cribbage -- Da Boys enjoy that more than I do.

14/12/07 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.