HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Backwards Works for me Wednesday

Today is a backwards Works for me Wednesday, where instead of my telling you a tip that works for me, instead I'm going to ask for a tip that works for you.
My question is about the Worthless Pet. Every year, about twice a year, we go through a short but disgusting season called "Oh, I'm gonna pee right outside my litter box." This happens every spring, when his pathetic little mind turns to spring fancies and he wants to be out out out, but the weather is a bit too chilly for his tastes. And it also happens again during the January thaw. Guess what the temperature was today? 63 degrees. Guess who is peeing on the floor right outside his litter box. Mr Disgusting.



So, what do I do? How on earth do I stop this male marking behavior. All you folks with big male cats, give me some advice. Worthless Pet is about 12 years old now, we've had him for 4 years and he's done this every year.

My question is, is this a natural thing that some male cats do, and if not, can I change his behavior to use the freaking spotlessly clean litter box when his mind turns to spring flings?

HELP!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

Sigh. I hope you get some good advice, but it won't be from me. Mine just peed on the bed TWICE in a week.

I keep a list of no-kill shelters on hand to threaten the cats with. It doesn't seem to help.

9/1/08 1:04 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

i haven't got any useful tips to share, but I do remember that when my family still had cats (years ago), our male cat also did this during spring. Something to do with the mating season I guess. Our cat used to pee all over the house...

9/1/08 1:57 AM  
Blogger daysgoby said...

I have never been able to train a cat to do anything....good luck.

9/1/08 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is he fixed? that should help. if not....i don't know. he is pretty old (read: set in his ways).

9/1/08 8:15 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

We had this problem and we found that putting tin foil down on the floor over the area that our feline fancied really helped. Apparently, cats do not care for foil. Though, for you, it may be difficult to get him to go in his box if it's surrounded by an aluminum moat...

9/1/08 9:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Maybe you could get some of those puppy training pads at Petsmart and just put them outside the litterbox until the season is over?

9/1/08 10:07 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

OK. I'm a vet. And my male cat is guilty of this too. :-(

It's very, VERY common behavior in males, especially as the weather gets warmer, because that triggers the heat cycles in all the female cats that wander outside. Your little cat man may be a bit confused about exactly what it is he wants to do, but he knows that he needs to mark his territory.

As yucky as it is, try multiple boxes in multiple spots throughout the house. If that doesn't work, confine him to a smaller room for a week or so with a big, clean litter box and no other inviting pee-spot.

If all else fails, there are medications that can help him feel more "mellow" and not feel the need to mark as much. Those do carry risks of causing diabetes, so you have to be sure that's what you want to try.

I hope your boy starts behaving!

9/1/08 10:57 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Tin foil and pet pads. DUH! What a moron I am. I forgot about both of these quick fixes. I'm on it. I also got some feliway spray, which has worked in the past.

Cats!

9/1/08 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Rhi said...

My female kitty is currently doing this and she's about to earn her self a one way ticket to somewhere where I AM NOT.

I think I will put a puppy pad down beneath the box.

9/1/08 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a special cat that temper tantrums by peeing on things. I bought Dr esleys? (I think that's the name) cat attract litter and that is working for right now. Bought it at petsmart.

10/1/08 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.