HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 16, 2008

I'm back with my truest love

All the time I was sick, I just couldn't read. I don't know why, but I completely lost interest in reading. Even yesterday at the library with a friend, I didn't get out any books because it all seemed so, well, difficult. Reading, usually my biggest relaxer and my favorite winter activity, ceased to be fun. This is a first. I blamed it on my need for new glasses. I actually do need new glasses, but I don't really believe that was the problem. My mind was just too muddled from being sick for so long to concentrate on a book.

This morning I woke up and I wanted to read. I grabbed Water for Elephants, by Sarah Gruen, and read the entire book in one sitting. Oh boy, my desire to read is back full force. Thank goodness. I loved Water for Elephants. It is a quirky story about a small, corrupt train circus in the depression. It doesn't sound like anything you're really want to devour, but I could not put it down. It was absolutely delightful, filled with odd tidbits of information about the circus and how horribly they were run. There was some bad juju in this particular circus, and the author stated in the back of the book that much of the story was based on historical research she did.

Now I've got to find new books to read. I've got Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky to try again, but I need more books on my bedside table. So tell me, what are you reading now, what books can you recommend, and what is your all time favorite read. Tell me all about the books you love.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I'm in the middle of The Liar's Diary by Patry Francis. It kept me awake last night -- all the twists and turns and surprises. She drops enough hints that when the blow falls, you're not shocked, but not so many that she gives away the ending.

17/2/08 10:06 AM  
Blogger Jendeis said...

Favorite books ever: the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (historical fiction, romance, time travel, all rolled into one). The first 150 pages of the first book go by slowly, but after that, you'll never want to put them down.

Books I loved this past year: Devil in the White City by Erik Larson; A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver et al; Wild Swans by Jung Chang. Hell, just look here at my Library Thing catalog.

17/2/08 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that book too - so good!!

Pam

17/2/08 3:16 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Pam, which book?

17/2/08 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading "44 Scotland Street" by Alexandar MaCall Smith. I read his previous series, seven books in the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency (I highly recommend it), so decided to try some other series he has written. I've read three in the Sunday Philosophy Club--interesting, but I wouldn't recommend them as highly as the Number One Ladies' series. 44 Scotland Street so far is interesting in an entertaining sort of way, and you learn some things about everyday life in Scotland which I find interesting.

Lynda, posting as anonymous again because it still insists I have the wrong password.

18/2/08 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.