HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 11, 2008

Maybe I shouldn't ever sleep

As a lifetime insomniac, when sleep comes to me, I take full advantage and pass out where ever and whenever I can. I never look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to sleep. So sometimes I fall asleep at inopportune moments in bizarre settings.

Tonight after dinner I sat down on the dangerous chair of total comfort and evidentially passed out for a few hours. Last thing I remember was watching Teen Jeopardy at 7:30, and then just total blank space. I woke up at 11:03 to a house dark and cold. Both kids had gone upstairs to bed and seemingly were fast asleep.

But... nobody did the dishes, quelle surprise! And nobody took out the garbage either.

This proves my point that if I do not nag, nothing gets done, does it not?

I hate to be the nagging mommy. I really hate it. Especially since it always entails screaming and being screamed at. However, it appears once again that if I do not nag, no chore is ever completed. Chores that they both know are on the boards, as they are every frigging day.

This sounds petty, and I wouldn't be human if I said it wasn't, but really, how frigging hard is it to do the damn dishes after we eat? And how hard is it to take out the garbage once a week? Am I asking too much of these kids? Is it really too difficult to remember to do your chores without being nagged to death?

It is so disappointing to see that they cannot take the initiative to get their work done on their own. I'm mad at myself for falling asleep. I'm mad at them for thinking they've slipped through the net, thus pulling one over on me. Not that they have, because they're getting up at 6:30 to do the things they didn't do tonight. But it just peeves me to think that they have so little respect for me and for the house rules that they both took advantage of my naptime.

I gotta wonder just what they did do while I was asleep. From the trail of detrius I can see that someone ate some grapes and left them on the coffee table. That person (The Girl) also ate dried cherries and left them on the coffee table as well. The computer was off, so there was thought that went into their bedtime departure. The kitchen looked like a cyclone struck it, with dirty dishes all over the counter, food left out, floor unswept, recycling spilling out of the bin, and of course the garbage can overflowing.

Aaarrrggghhhh. I'm so not pleased. Tomorrow morning is going to totally suck. Fighting with the Boy to get his ass in gear and get ALL of the garbage out is hard enough during regular parenting hours. Early in the morning, oh man, I do not relish this.

What can I do to make them responsible enough to do their respective chores on their own, withouth my nagging?

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I find myself nagging my students at school, too. I've really worked to make these nags "reminders" in a matter-of-fact tone of voice. It works better with my ten-year-old students. Teens? I'm still working on that. Let me know if you find the answer.

12/2/08 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.