HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A new perspective on college

This morning I had the pleasure of attending our very first college counseling session at the high school. This is a big milestone, peeps. I find myself planning for someone else's future and that's filled with pressure and expectations. But it is good to start early and figure out what different paths there are to achieving the goal of getting into, and graduating from college. A decent college.

My whole feeling about college is probably much different than most parents around here. I don't really want the Boy to go off to school right after high school. I'd prefer that he did a gap year, and go after that. I think he has a lot of growing up to do, considering that he's graduating from high school at 16, and I'd much rather he did his growing up outside of college. In other words, I don't want him to be a dropout his freshman year.

I suggested a 13th year at a prep school to bring up his grades into the 90th %tile (he's 86th now) and to have a chance to take courses that are of interest to him in a non-college setting. He would be living in a dorm, and he would be amongst kids his age, both of which would be good preparation for college. Needless to say, he hated that idea. But it was newly introduced and I'm going to work on it.

He suggested getting a job for a year, than moving to England and going to college there. Um, no, I don't think that's a great idea either. So you see we have a lot of distance to travel before we figure out what he will end up doing.

He doesn't want to go to Israel for a year, which is a shame, but I can't convince him otherwise. I can't even convince him to do Birthright, but he's going to anyhow, even if I have to shove him on that damn plane. He's going. Free frigging trip overseas and he's not interested. Idiot!

We looked at a bunch of options, and I think we've got some basis for exploration of various paths now.

We also got "the code" so we can go online and do all the college searching. The code is vastly important! I can't wait to do searching through all the schools. It's almost unfair that I've pretty much finished up every possibility of college for myself. I'd love to go back and start all over, learning just the stuff I want to know.

If I could go to college now, I'd first attend the Bennett Street School and learn woodworking. I want to know how to make furniture, and being Jewish, there are limited resources for anyone teaching me on my own. Jews, as a rule, do not handle tools well. But I would love to go to a crafts school like Bennett and learn from the best. I'd also like to take jewelery making there.

Once I finished at Bennett St, I'd like to go to RISD, the Rhode Island School of Design, and study interior design. I'd like to make furniture and then design rooms to place it in. I'm a big dreamer on this topic. I'd love to be able to make rooms both functional and beautiful using artisan crafts. I'm big on the crafts.

I'd also like to go to a culinary school for pastry. I know the CIA has those baking intensives, and I'd like to do one of those, but more than that, I'd like to perfect my baking on artisan breads and french pastries.

For academics, I'm pretty much set, but I would like to learn a bit of marine biology and archaeology. I've already got a degree in physical anthropology, and have worked as an archaeologist for the state of Colorado, but I'd really like to learn about marine archaeology. It looks so interesting, and man, if you find a site in international waters, all the proceeds are yours alone. Dubloons for all!

I'd also like to do some more literature courses, but I don't want to write any more papers. I once took a Japanese literature course in college and had to read 17 books in 12 weeks, and write papers on them all. I think I'm done with writing papers on books for the rest of my life!

When I look at the courses offered at the various colleges I feel this huge desire to take them all. I want to keep learning. I loved learning. Obviously. I loved being in college and getting to learn all this stuff I never heard of before. College is so wasted on the young.

Now that we're starting to get the brochures and it's becoming a reality for the immediate future, I want to go to college with them. It's almost not fair that the kids get to do all this cool stuff and the adults just get to pay for it.

If you could go back to school tomorrow, what would you study? Don't worry about the money, just tell me what you'd love to learn.

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little puzzled by the CIA, until I figured out that you meant Culinary Institute of America, or something like that, not Central Intelligence Agency! I was picturing you making codes in the pie crust or something ... hee, that might be fun, too!

I'd like to go back to college and get a proper history degree. For some reason that I cannot now fathom, I avoided history in college. I'd also like to learn book repair (another thing they teach at Bennett Street if I recall correctly).

Did you see my response about the tax refund? I really do think SSID folks are eligible now.

Helen

12/2/08 3:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have a master's degree in museum anthropology but I would love to learn more about book conversation. I think that would be so fascinating.

-Amy

http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com

12/2/08 4:26 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Helen, I did check it out after your comment. I called the IRS, who of course just shunt you off to their web site. The web site wasn't much help, but I figured out that if I filed my taxes this year (I don't have to file and haven't in several years) I MIGHT be eligible. I have to file, and then it's up to the Gods. But I'll file that ez form, which should take about 10 minutes, and then we'll see!

12/2/08 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, crossing fingers! (oh, and you might remember me from Usenet parenting groups, btw)

Helen

12/2/08 6:24 PM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

I'd love to take some literature and philosophy courses, a writing course, and a cake-decorating course. I think the latter is the only one that'll happen anytime soon!

12/2/08 8:52 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I have a degree in music. I do not teach music, but I'm so glad I took the time (and used my parents money!) to do that so long ago. The musician part of me is strong, even though it's not my career. If I went back to school (again), I'd either pursue a reading teacher degree or something basic in nursing. I went through a real decision-making process when I chose to complete my elementary teaching certification; nursing was my other choice.

13/2/08 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.