HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oh my! Valentines Day struck hard.

Last night the Girl went outside for a few minutes to 'talk' to a friend. When she got back inside, she noted that there was a small gold bag in the mailbox. She brought it in, and opened it up. It was for her from her "boyfriend" [that she's not allowed to see for a large variety of reasons] from Kays Jewelers. You know, "every gift begins with Kay". As a rule, I'm not adverse to her getting gifts although this was her first big gift. Big in thought, tiny in stature. It was one of those 'diamond' 'journey' pendants on a fine gold chain. The teeniest, tiniest little diamonds you've ever seen. They are so small they don't even sparkle.

Now, I have to admit to being a snob when it comes to jewelery. Not that I own any decent jewels, because I really don't. Oh, I have a few pieces of what could be called 'fine' jewelery, but for the most part I don't wear jewelery at all. But I know what I like, and I know what is good jewelery, and believe me, this wasn't either. It is miniscule. She looked at it, and she looked at me, and we kinda looked stunned at each other.

I could tell she didn't like it very much, but she was going to wear it anyways. She's a good kid and I've taught her decent manners about accepting gifts. I put it on her, and the thing is so tiny it looks like a little silvery worm hanging on her neck. But she's thrilled to get a 'nice' gift and excited about getting gold jewelery, so she's happy. She went off today wearing this necklace with her Harvard sweats. Because she's classy, that one.

I went to the Kay's site to see what the damn thing was, and it's not even made of diamonds. It's man made white sapphire in 10ct white gold. But again, she's happy so I'm not going to burst her bubble. However, this boy really doesn't know my kid. She's not of the 'trite mall jewelery' ilk. She likes unusual, funkier stuff.

The whole thing was so cute though. She was so excited to get a 'big' Valentine's Day present. It's her first boyfriend gift, and she was just elated, even if she didn't like the gift very much. The idea of getting a gift in a velvet box from someone other than her mother was just exhilarating for her. Because when you're 15, love is so easy.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Menchuvian Candidate said...

I'm glad she's getting to have that experience, I don't know about love being easy at any age, though. My heir is new at South this year, and he's getting a lot of attention from girls, but of a neuter sort. My brain can't quite stretch to imagining what a requited love for him would be like.

Happy Valentine's Day, neighbor.

14/2/08 2:33 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

That's kind of harsh, Margalit. I'm sure the guy meant well even if he doesn't seem to have a good idea of the Girl's taste in gifts and jewelry.

I don't know if Kay Jewelers has this program but I had an ex-boyfriend who gave me jewelry that really wasn't me at all and after we broke up, I used the jeweler's trade-in program to get jewelry I really wanted.

14/2/08 5:08 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Yeah, it probably was a bit harsh. But it was so funny. The way she looked at me and I looked at her and we both kinda didn't know what to say. But she's happy with it and she's wearing it, although she told me this afternoon that he wanted to get her one she would have liked a lot more. But she's happy now, and that's all that matters!

14/2/08 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.