HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WFMW: No more plastic water bottles

I have to measure my water intake very carefully due to my heart problem, and the easiest way was to line up 4 bottles of Poland Spring water daily, and drink those bottles throughout the day.

But not only was that a pain, it was also wasteful and didn't promote our new attempt to be very green. And we're very into being green in this house. So what's a careful girl to do about keeping track of her water intake? Thankfully there is a simple answer that keeps me from using a plethora of plastic bottles every day.

When my daughter was sick recently, she wanted gatorade. I noted that the gatorade bottle with the sports top is exactly the size bottle I needed for keeping track of my water, and it had a convenient sports top that enabled me to take water with me in the car, to meetings, and even to bed at night. Voila! Problem solved.

She drank the gatorade from cup, I rinsed out the bottle and now I fill it twice a day and that's my water intake, measured and without adding any plastic to our recycling site. Plus, no more bottles rattling about in the back of the car. This really works well for me!

Sorry about the weird photo. It was the only one I could find of this wonderful sports bottle!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Gray Matters said...

Great post! Congratulations on your family's effort to go green. I recently discovered a stainless steel water bottle from Nalgene. We are working on going green - this month we are trying to get rid of as much plastic as possible. Thank you and take care.

20/2/08 10:03 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

This would work for me. I use and re-use the same water bottle over and over again.

20/2/08 5:36 PM  
Blogger scribbler said...

Watch out for the bisphenol-a (http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/114/bpa). Get a Klean Kanteen or something similar as soon as you can.

21/2/08 9:26 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i used to do the same thing and refill disposable water bottles over and over and over and then i learned that they are made to be single use bottles and the plastic (supposedly) starts to break down after that. i don't know if those bottles have BPA (an endocrine disruptor) in them either, but i'd buy a reusable bottle if i were you and then refill it throughout the day just to be safe.

8/1/09 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.