HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Martha declares war on Girl Scouts

This week is "Cookie Week" on Martha Stewart's TV show. The one on ABC, not the one on whatever else that woman owns. She's one giant media mogul, that one. So anyhow, she's got another cookbook that was just released and to push it, she's baking a recipe from her book every day. Today was blond brownies. Meh. Kinda boring. But yesterday. OMG yesterday she declared war on the Girl Scouts. She made a version of Thin Mints that looked so good I was trying to reach through the TV to get one.

I love the Thin Mints. I have no other interest in any Girl Scout cookie. To me, the Thin Mint is the ultimate in cookie perfection and I have no reason to lower my standards to even try any other type. I'm loyal that way.

But, because I'm on this fricking kick to better my health by eating right and not binging on an entire box of Thin Mints in one sitting, I have not bought even one box. I KNOW! It's one step away from total disaster. I have not even put one smooth, chocolate perfect Thin Mint in my big fat gob this year. Life sucks sometimes. But my weight continues to fall slowly, which is good. Not as good as a Thin Mint, but good nevertheless.

When Martha brought out that cocoa and announced she was taking on the Girl Scouts, who, she said, should MAKE cookies, not buy them (gasp!) I believe I turned a little bit dizzy. I seem to remember throwing my arm up to my forehead and swooning a little bit. I know that anything Martha makes is going to surpass anything machine made. That's just Martha's way.

The cookie itself was a dense chocolate wafer. She made a mint ganache to put between two wafers to make a sandwich. Which might have been enough for mere mortals, but not Martha. She then dipped the cookie in a chocolate coating. It was gorgeous. I know you might doubt me, but it was on par with some actual Rembrants I've seen in museums. That beautiful. That breathtaking.



Of course, being so close to Purim, I have to keep my mind on hamentaschen, but I will make these mint confections. Believe me I will make them and I will eat them and I will feel only a little no guilt.

Ingredients

Makes 3 dozen

  • FOR THE COOKIES
  • 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • Confectioners' sugar, for work surface

  • FOR THE GANACHE
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract

  • FOR THE GLAZE
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped

Directions

  1. Make cookies: Whisk together cocoa powder and flour in a bowl. Put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg until well blended. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour (or overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer dough to a work surface lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 2-inch round cookie cutter; space 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining scraps of dough. Bake cookies until firm, rotating sheets halfway through, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
  3. Meanwhile, make ganache: Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chocolate. Cook, stirring constantly until chocolate is smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Let cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. Spoon 1 teaspoon ganache onto the bottom of 1 cookie; sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and ganache. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
  5. Make glaze: Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring constantly. Let cool slightly. Dip one flat side of each sandwich into melted chocolate to coat; gently shake off excess. Place sandwiches, chocolate sides up, on wire racks set over baking sheets. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Cookies can be refrigerated in a single layer in airtight containers up to 2 days.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I just bought the new book today...as you know, head buried in a cookbook all the time, 305 new recipes a year and all that....anyway, i shall report soon on the cookielishness, even though I am not such a huge cookie fan.
Having said that...there are 3 boxes of thin mints out in my garage freezer, a long walk form the house, with keys and an alarm code. It's the only way.

13/3/08 6:51 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I'm not sure which part of me objects to this most strongly: the former Girl Scout Leader or the Anti-martha. but I love baking cookies!

13/3/08 8:58 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

jo,

I love cookies. More than cake, more than ice cream... even more than candy. I am a true cookie lover. I know this book is going to end up stuffed on my cookbook shelf, which CANNOT hold one more book. But cookies? Must have.

13/3/08 9:53 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Ohhhhhh, Martha. I'm making these. I don't care if I balloon up to the size of an elephant.

14/3/08 12:22 PM  
Blogger SHELLY said...

Oh. My. Word. I looooooove Thin Mints and can't wait to try these. Thanks for the info!

14/3/08 6:50 PM  
Blogger Poppy Buxom said...

Sorry, but if they're sandwiches? They're going to be too thick to be THIN mints.

And? Martha Kostyra Stewart can bite me.

She probably wasn't a GS because it would bother her to actually have leaders, as in, adults who actually know more than she would about something.

Martha Stewart is a cow.

Poppy the GS Leader and former GS who sold shitloads of Thin Mints every year

15/3/08 10:09 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Gosh Poppy, how do you REALLY feel about Martha taking on the GS? You crack me up. I hate Martha too, but these cookies look like da bomb.

And I was not only a girl scout, but a girl scout LEADER... oh yes I was!

16/3/08 11:17 AM  
Blogger Honor said...

Ok, Martha's cookies look FABULOUS, but I'll let you in on a quick, easy Thin Minty recipe:

Melted chocolate
Some peppermint oil
Ritz crackers

Mix the peppermint oil into the melted chocolate to taste. Dip a Ritz cracker into chocolate mint mixture, and either let it set up like that, or stack them 2 crackers high and let them cool.

Maybe not as good as Martha's but still yummy and only a fraction of the work!

Hope you're doing well. Trying to catch up on your goings-on while I was out of town.

19/3/08 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.