HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 30, 2008

My trip to the Kosher Store

And we're off! Yes, the Passover frenzy has officially started. So far, it's killing me, which is par for the course. I've misplaced my favorite Passover cookbook. The seder has grown from a few people to 28 adults and 5 children. We've chosen to use paper goods and plastic despite Al Gore because who the hell wants to wash that many dishes? Not me, and not anyone I know.

In good news, the menu is planned. Which of course means a trip to the Butcherie, aka The Kosher Store. It's kind of an amazing place. Tiny aisles. Packed to the gills with food you're not really sure you want to eat and yet need to. Food that costs an arm and a leg. Food that may or may not be entirely edible. But every year around the world Jews go through the ritual of hitting the Kosher Stores and setting their bank accounts back several hundreds of dollars. Or more.

So here's a short look at what we did at the Kosher Store today.

The first aisle we just had to visit was the candy aisle. The Girl, who accompanies me every year, is in rapture in this aisle. It has all the candy she loves. Fruity things that make my stomach churn, but it's all good for her. I bought sucking candy (Hey Neal!) and strange fruity things and Bisli and Bombas. The child is now happy and excited for Passover.


Next we hit the meat aisle. I needed chicken for the soup, and of course chicken to eat during Pesach, and a brisket for the meat tzimmes I'm going to make. Check out the size of those briskets on the right. Some of them were 2+ feet long and cost a frightening amount. I got one a little over 5 lbs, which is a bit small, but we're also making two Wise Organic turkeys that weigh about 17 lbs each. The brisket was gorgeous.


New it's time to move on to the gefilte fish aisle. I don't like the jarred kind, and the canned might as well be cat food as far as I'm concerned. I don't even think the Worthless Pet would eat it. I often make my own, but when I'm cooking for an army, shortcuts are good. So I bought 5 logs of the frozen gefilte fish. That should be plenty!


Finally, let's look at the cakes. Every year I look at them and think that they're going to taste great. Every year I am terribly disappointed. They do not taste great. They are easy and they look good, but they do not taste all that fabulous. So, I'm baking a hazelnut chocolate torte and some chocolate orange macaroons. We bought some of the smaller cakes, the rainbow 'cookies' that we all love and a 7-layer cake that is edible.


We got home and tossed all the non-perishables under the sideboard where they will remain until the kitchen is turned over.


And then we packed the freezer without an inch to spare, dumped off more food at my friend Iris's house, and then booked it over the the Christmas Tree Shop to buy incredibly cheap cooking stuff that will now be KLP. We got huge roasting pans for $2.99 each that we'll use for making the kugels, and a nice 3 tiered plate rack for the desserts. Plus some other goodies. I love that store. You who aren't in their neck of the woods have no idea of what you're missing, but damn, that place is a bargain hunters paradise!


Back home before 1, and naptime!

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Blockhead said...

Congratulations!!! You have been nominated for a 2007 Best Of Blog Award!! Especially designed to bring attention to lower profile bloggers, The BoB’s as we like to call them are currently taking nominations in over 20 different categories. To find out more about how your site has a chance to become one of this year’s Best Of’s and how to nominate other bloggers, visit us at www.thebestofblogs.com. Remember voting begins April 14th so make sure you pass the word to your friends, family, and faithful followers.

Sincerely,
Bill Beck
Project Mgr.
www.TheBestOfBlogs.com
Email:Bloggerbeck@aol.com

30/3/08 8:10 PM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I love the frozen gefilte fish at the Butcherie. The best I've ever had!

30/3/08 8:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I've found amazing Passover desserts on the gluten-free websites! I make an incredible (dairy) flourless chocolate cake each year.

31/3/08 1:04 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Under the Gefilte Fish it looks like there is some Kosher Frozen Fish Fillets - what brand is that? I'm going to look for it in my hometown, also what brand frozen GF do you like best?

31/3/08 6:11 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Micheal, Benz is my favorite brand, but they didn't have it. A&B is good too.

I don't know about the fish fillets. I'll have to investigate.

31/3/08 11:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle Smiles said...

Most of that food is foreign to me but with the exception of Gefilte fish (because it just sounds scary) I think it would be fun to try. Enjoy!

Congrats on your BOB nomination.

31/3/08 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.