HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Something is different

One of those strange windy cold days in New England has provided a soundtrack to our day. There is that creepy wind blowing through the cracks and crevices of the home, whistling and wooing and rattling the loose flappy tiles on the roof. The dogs next door bark and bark, like howling at the moon. It is an unsettled noise, one that is at once primal and yet sounding like the background to a horror movie.

As I lay in bed in my PJ's reading Jodi Picoults' 19 Minutes, the howling wind keeps going. At one point my room got hot, so I opened the window a crack and the frozen air rushed in bringing goosebumps to my skin. Bitter cold wind, I opened and closed the window a dozen times trying to even out the temperature before I gave up and went downstairs to finish the book.

I read my email, make a meatloaf for dinner, straightened up the tangled mess that is our home, all serenaded by the howling wind.

As I sat down I realized why the wind was such a counterpoint to the day. The Boy was gone last night and most of today, and nobody had turned on the television all day. The enormous black face stared out in silence the entire day. This is not a usual occurrance, but it gave me time to think, to read, and to ponder the power of the wind.

Sometimes I forget that the day is often accompanied by the background of the television. I hate that in other people's homes, and yet it's become a part of life here in my own home.

I must remember to keep that damn thing off more often.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Lis Garrett said...

We've recently put in place rules regarding the television. It's amazing how much more calm things seem around here without it on.

10/3/08 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.