HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

WFMW: Make your own fruit leather

Both of my kids love fruit leather, and I found a recipe where it's simple to make it at home by yourself. Saves you money, and you can control the amount you want to make, the size of the leather, and even the types of fruit you want to use. You can make pure flavors, or combine different fruits for a really special treat. Plus, the best thing of all: NO SUGAR!

Ingredients:

2 cups pureed fruit (cooked or raw)

Yes, that’s all that goes into these magical strips of yum. The key to the technique is patience. Cooked fruit will yield a glossier leather, but raw will retain more of the fresh taste. It is completely up to your personal preference. Wrap a cookie sheet in plastic wrap and spread the pureed fruit, keeping at least two inches from each edge.

The fruit should be between 1/8th and 1/4 inch thick. Place in a 175 degree oven with the door cracked and wait. Wait some more. Hang in there, it’s going to be a while.

At the 3 hour mark check the leather. It should be slightly tacky and will pull away from the plastic wrap, cleanly. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into strips and enjoy. The first time I made the fruit leather I was only experimenting so I made a very small batch. However, made in large batches fruit leather will stay fresh in an airtight container for thirty days or in the freezer for a year. Since my first time, I've made big batches when fruit is dropping off the trees. A basket of peaches makes so much leather you'll be eating it for snacks for months!

Enjoy the taste of spring until the next crop arrives.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

25/3/08 11:38 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I was just thinking today that I need to search online for a fruit leather recipe. My kids love the stuff, but it is so expensive! So, thanks again!

What fruits have you tried? Any favorites? Do you think thawed frozen fruits would work OK?

Sorry for all of the questions.. I'm just really excited to try this out.

~ Amy @ Memoirs of a Mommy

25/3/08 11:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

i need to do one of these one day but I never can come up with anything worth sharing.

26/3/08 12:23 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Oh, fantastic! I will definitely be trying this. Annalie won't eat fruit leather, but I personally love it. :-) Thanks!

26/3/08 12:34 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Amy, I've done strawberry, peach, kiwi, kiwi strawberry (I hated it, daughter loved it), raspberry (PITA because you have to strain out the seeds, but tasted great) and pear. The pear was a funny color.

This year, apricot and blueberry will be on my list.

I haven't tried frozen fruits, but we have a big bag of mango in the freezer so maybe I can experiment. I also have a couple of bags of pineapple (trader joes). That might be fun, too.

26/3/08 1:23 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Thank you so much for posting this. My son loves fruit leather, but it is so expensive. I always wanted to make my own and assumed I would need a dehydrator.

26/3/08 8:18 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Ooooo - I can't wait until the fruit ripens to try this! Thanks for this!

27/3/08 8:14 AM  
Blogger daysgoby said...

THANKS! Cass inhales this stuff....it'd be nice not to have to pay so much for it!

27/3/08 7:41 PM  
Blogger The Daileys said...

I'm always looking for no sugar recipes for my oldest son and this one looksquite promising- Thanks! I can't wait to try it ;)

28/3/08 11:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

How fun to be able to create different shapes, colors, and new flavors! Thanks for posting this ~ we've never thought about making it ourselves. It will be fun to experiment with it together!

28/3/08 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.