HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

WFMW: Reducing Stress and Optimizing Health

Since I've been in cardiac rehab, I've been working hard on reducing my stress levels, and have been somewhat successful. The yelling and nagging has been noticibly reduced and I'm been happier. Some of the things I've been doing to optimize my self care are:

  1. Start off the day with breakfast.
  2. Quit drinking coffee (sob) and move to Decaf.
  3. Find time during the day to do "blue dots" or quick relaxation techniques, like deep breathing while driving.
  4. Organize my work by setting priorities
  5. Don't try to be perfect.
  6. Don't feel like I have to do everything.
  7. Don't try to do 2 or 3 things at the time time
  8. Reduce the noise level at home.
  9. Take at least 20 minutes to eat a meal.
  10. Always take a lunch break.
  11. Optimize health with good nutrition, sleep, and rest/relaxation.
  12. 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day.
  13. Look at unavoidable stress as an avenue for growth and change.
  14. Avoid people who are stresscarriers or negaholics.
  15. Avoid the 11:00 news (it's the gory news.)
  16. Be assertive. Learn to express your needs and differences, to make requests, and to say "no" constructively.
  17. Don't overlook emotional resources available to you that are close at hand-- co-workers, spouse, friends, family.
  18. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.
  19. Allow 15 extra minutes to get to appointments.
  20. Check your breathing throughout the day. Take lots of deep breaths when you're feeling stressed.
  21. Find something funny in a stressful situation.
  22. Find ways to protect yourself--take a mental health day.
  23. Practice being patient: create patience practice periods, like when waiting in line.

Next week I'll provide more hints!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

I need to learn #19! I have gotten in the bad habit of allowing exactly enough time to get where I'm going, which of course means I am usually ten minutes late. Good advice.

12/3/08 1:55 AM  
Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Thank you for the great reminders.

I'm introducing my brand new dessert blog. This is my first WFMW.

12/3/08 5:36 AM  
OpenID infinitygoods said...

These are all so important for all of us. Wishing you better health.

12/3/08 5:38 AM  
Blogger Playful Professional said...

My husband is great at making me laugh when I'm stressed. It really does make my stress level go down.

12/3/08 8:25 AM  
Blogger susanchap21 said...

What a great list. I like the idea of practicing patience, that is definitely an area that I can grow in. After I had my first heart attack, I was given a book written by Dr. Judith Orloff called Positive Energy. She calls your negaholics, energy vampires and her tips are similar to many of yours. I found the book quite uplifting and witty. Best of luck on continuing to reduce your stress and having a healthier life. :)

16/3/08 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.