HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Counting Food

One of the big items that my kids fight over all the time is food. The Girl counts it, the Boy eats it. You would think that by now they would have learned that she counts, he eats, but nope. It's a constant battle. She knows every single item of food in the house, where it is, how big it is, how much is left, etc. He doesn't care to whom the food belongs, if he's been told not to eat it, or if it's for a special occasion, he eats it anyways. It's of no consequence to him. None. If it is edible, he's gonna go for it.

Now this would seem to be quite the issue, but I just won't get involved anymore. Unless he eats something that I've specifically earmarked as mine or an item for dinner, special occasions etc., I figure that the one that gets there first is the one who is going to eat whatever it is, and the other person is going to lose out.

I've explained my position oh, 7 million times, but every day at least one fight breaks out when she's counted something and proclaims it missing and he denies that he's eaten whatever it is. In some cases he's lying, and he'll admit it to me, but not to her, and in other cases he hasn't touched said item, but she's so SURE that he's eaten it she will not back down.

You would think that this has to do with sweets and treats. You would be wrong. She counts fruit, for heaven's sake. She makes notice of every single thing in the house. It's like a hoarding thing or something. I know she's just protecting her rights to food, but the weird thing is, she barely eats anything. She doesn't even LIKE most food. She just counts it. And he eats it.

He'll eat anything. Last night I made chopped liver for Passover. I didn't have a chance to run it thru the food processor so I just left it in chunks in the fridge. When he got home from school he ate it. He didn't even know what it was, and he said it was disgusting, but he ate it anyways. He's a human garbage disposal.

I don't know how to make them resolve this problem, so I'm just trying hard to stay out of it. But what do you do when one kid is Midas of the Kitchen, and the other kid is a Kitchen Aide?

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I'm sure there's a punch line here. There's probably a diagnosis or two (or three) and a philosophy of how they respond to food and eating. But right now, I think it's time to enjoy the specialties you've made for Passover.

17/4/08 9:23 PM  
Blogger Kelliqua said...

My sisters and I were taught to mentally divide every grocery that was brought in to the house. If a box of Little Debbie cakes had six, we knew we were only allowed to eat two each. I don't even realize doing it, but my 2 teens and 1 young adult do it, too and it works out pretty well for the most part.

18/4/08 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.