HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Good People Day

Do you follow @garyvee on twitter? (Oh no, she's going to talk about twitter...again.) Gary Vaynerchuk, better known as @garyvee on twitter, has started a movement. A holiday. A day of reckoning. April 3, today, is hearby known as Good People Day. Gary has asked his followers to blog about a good person today. Well, that's not too hard. So many good people. So many clusterfucks too, but I try to ignore then and concentrate on the Good People. But it's too hard to winnow my choices down to just one Good Person, so I'm going to write short posts about 3.

1) JaniceNW from Twist and Skewer. Janice is a riot. She's also a good friend, on and off screen. She's called me many times when things aren't going so well, just to chat. And chat she does. I've learned all about her teenagers, her husband, her son Brendan who died of a terrible genetic disease in toddlerhood, and all about her dreaded Algebra classes. Janice has a heart of gold, and "meeting" her has been a great addition to my life. She's one of those people that can make good solid connections. She and I have things in common, including a bipolar son. She's been so supportive of the hard times we've gone through in the past couple of years, and she understands what to say. She's a really Good Person.

2) Nina from Voted off the Island. Nina and I go way way back. She's been a real life friend for about 15 years now, and we have lived through so much together. She's one of the smartest women I've ever known, sharp as a tack, so well read, so polished. Yet she's also totally down to earth. She's loves to cook and we often share recipes. We also have another thing we share as well, a love of bizarre names. We're always sending each other names we've read or heard, names that keep us in stitches. More than a good friend, Nina is a source of great strength and an example of a really good mother. She's got two sons, one almost done with college, and one that is my kids triplet, born on the same day, same year, and has the same quirky brilliance that my kids have. It must have been Hurricaine Andrew's influence, as all 3 kids were born during that storm. Nina is a total mensch. She's had a horrible last few years, with cancer, divorce, and looming poverty, but she perseveres and even keeps her humor about her. I love her dearly. Oh, and did I mention she's a friend of Bossy? (Third from left)


3) Karen of Karen Sugarpants. Bet this is a surprise to a lot of people. It's no secret that Karen had a really really bad year last year, and one of the people who got reamed out on her former blog was none other than me. I was wicked angry for a long time, because what happened was pretty crappy and I didn't understand why. I was totally confused and hurt. But months later, when Karen was feeling more like herself, she emailed me and apologized. I was cautious, but subsequent back and forth conversation convinced me that she was back, she was a much happier person, and she really did feel terrible about what had happened. Slowly but surely we got back on track and now we're friends again. There aren't a lot of people that can apologize for being hurtful. There are even fewer who go as far as making sure that I knew she was speaking the truth. Karen is a really Good Person who had a terrible time last year. We've all had those times. Times where life seems so bleak. Times when we become self-destructive. Times when we burn bridges. What makes Karen so special is that she went above and beyond to mend fences and show that she's really ready to move past the bad times. Now we can exchange excellent snark with each other, and we both learned we have the same dislike of the same people. Nothing is better than a friend who can't stand the same people as you!

----------------------------------------------

Review of Road Map to Holland by Jennifer Graf Groneberg is up on my review blog.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

Thanks doll! That is really sweet. I apologized because the way I was last year was abrasive and mean. No, it wasn't me, but it was still me who had to be accountable.
I'm glad to have mended fences with you and with Miss Ann Thrope. I'm also glad to have ditched the people I thought were friends too.
Ultimately, I'm back to my old self, comfy in my own skin, and not taking the blog very seriously. :) Life is TOO short. xo

(sorry to have deleted the 1st comment - I noticed a typo - lol!)

2/4/08 11:33 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

You made my day! Smart, polished? Me? Awwwwww. Enjoy the cherry blossoms. Check out Union Station if you have time.

3/4/08 8:52 AM  
Blogger JaniceNW said...

Hey! Bossy will be here April 14! Wow, how susprising to come here and read good things about myself. Back atcha sweetie!

Take many pictures in DC! We will want a full accounting. I'm green with envy by the way. Of course I'm envious of anyone who isn't in an algebra class! Heh.

3/4/08 11:51 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

This is really neat! I just may do it myself. Oh, and are you going to DC? I guess I need to catch up on your blog. :) Do you have any ideas for us? We are thinking of going there this sumer.

3/4/08 5:49 PM  
Blogger Never That Easy said...

I just have to give a great big DITTO to everything you said about Ms. JaniceNW. A truer heart I have yet to meet... She's how I wandered my way here, btw, some while ago. Anyways, she totally deserves it!

3/4/08 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.