HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Leaving teenagers is really difficult

Unlike when my kids were little and they could be uprooted to stay with family for a couple of days, leaving them now is mind-boggling. OK, I have to admit that in the 15.5 years that I've parented these kids, I've left them twice. I know, it sounds horrid. But that is the life of a single parent, especially one without a great big income. We've been plenty of places, but as a family. The last time I left them was more than 10 years ago, and I'm grimacing just writing that. It sounds like I'm some Momzilla, but I'm not. Really, I'm not. I like when they go away. I just don't get the opportunity very often.

But I'm leaving tomorrow morning for 4 long days in Washington DC. Yes I am. And I'm so psyched it's ridiculous. You would think I was leaving on a grand tour of the world or something. I'm all packed. That took less than a half hour and some not so difficult decisions. What bra? Well, I only have two, so I'll wear one and take one. Oh, the trauma! Shoes? I don't own any shoes. I really don't. I am sasquach and shoes do not fit my tender feet. I will bring sandals and my woolen stegmans. Dress for more formal attire? Well, I wanted to bring my new black and white dress that I got last fall that didn't fit at the time but fits perfectly now. Unfortunately it does not fit in my suitcase. So I chose something a bit older. Ahem.

The big worry is the kids. They are both staying with friends, but because they have different hours than their friends, and they don't want to cart around a suitcase at school, they have decided to (OMG) pack for themselves. Because I'm a bit of a worrywart, I made them make lists that I had to approve. If I didn't, the Boy would forget his pills, his toothbrush, his underwear and socks, his jeans, his t-shirts, and would just go in the clothing he's wearing tomorrow. Yes, he really would.

I'm not so worried about the Girl, even though her plans are way more convoluted due to her friend begging off one night of her stay just last night. I almost plotzed. We found her another spot for one night, which will work out OK, but then she has to get from one end of the city to the other, and it isn't convenient. But she's exceptionally resourceful and will be fine. The Boy would be completely panic stricken if it were him.

I've written their medical proxy letters, they both have keys to the house, they both know who to call in an emergency, and they can get in touch with me 24/7. So that's good. But damn, I'm a bit worried even so.

Each kid is coming home once during the weekend to feed Fishy and Worthless Pet, who will be staying at home by himself. He doesn't do well in strange places. He'll be fine at home as long as someone is with him part of every day, that that will indeed happen.

I feel like I've forgotten so many things, but I haven't. I have both kid's weekend plans written in their own hand. If they didn't have so much personal information I'd post the picture I took of their notes, because they are hilarious. The Girls is all neat with numbered lists. The Boys is a mess and about 3 lines long. Typical.

I have to warn my neighbors to look out for any party activity and to shoo them out of the house if it looks like something is going on. I don't think they'd do anything that stupid, but you never know.

If we all survive until Monday evening, it will be a miracle.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Wow, good luck to everyone with the weekend apart. And Margalit...HAVE FUN! :-)

4/4/08 1:27 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I am excited for you. You need some fun. Have a great time. I hope the kids don't act up while you're away.

4/4/08 1:53 AM  
Blogger daysgoby said...

Have lots of fun!

4/4/08 7:20 AM  
Blogger susanajackson said...

TWINS??? You've already survived the impossible! Gee, I left my teen alone ONCE. House trashed. Kids jumping off roof. Music booming. Cops called. My son actually asked for a search warrant, which almost got him tazered. But surviving TWINS?? You have me beat by a mile!

4/4/08 4:12 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Good luck! It sounds like you've planned everything that can possibly be planned.

4/4/08 7:02 PM  
Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

Have fun! They will be FINE.

4/4/08 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.