HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My introduction to podiatry

Oh, how I can attempt to make a story about disgusting feet remotely interesting.

I went on my virgin trip to the podiatrist this morning. I was sent there by my overcaring PCP because I had a tad bit of a dead area on my big toe. My PCP thought it was neuropathy brought about by my slight case of diabetes, so off I went to get it checked out.

The podiatrist asked me a lot of questions, poked and prodded my feet, clipped my rather funky toenails that are as brittle as can be, and then used this electric file thing to smooth out the nails. Never have my toenails looked or felt more smooth. They are beautiful.

Then he did some nerve testing and found out that no, I do not have diabetic neuropathy. That would be too easy. I have sciatica left over from carrying twins, coupled with a bit of nerve damage from my knee replacement surgery way back in 1980. Yeah, lucky me.

But the good thing is, I get to go to physical therapy. Now, a little known fact about me is that I am easily swayed into being a physical therapy whore. Anything that rubs, massages, manipulates, whatever my back and my butt... I love it. LOVE IT. I hope they use those hydrocolators on my butt. That will feel so excellent. I can't wait to start!

He also gave me some special super-de-duper foot cream for my dry, cracking tooties.

But you know what the mean old doctor said? No flip flops. I swear, an audible intake of breath could be heard for miles around. No flip flops? WTF? He recommended crocs. Oh yeah he did.

And now, it is another round of "mommy needs a nap to recover from this weekend."

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

Oh NO! Not CROCS! Sigh.

Well at least you get your butt rubbed. :)

8/4/08 7:02 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Crocs? The man has no fashion sense. Oh, wait, he's a guy. With a foot fetish, probably.

8/4/08 7:37 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/4/08 7:55 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Sorry, screwed up last comment. I'll try again:

Hahahaha! Ahem. Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your expense. At least your toenails are pretty and smooth, and you will get massages. Aren't there flip-flops made BY Crocs? These aren't so bad. Maybe? :-) I'm glad you don't have neuropathy, by the way. I've heard that's awful. Though I'm sure sciatica is no picnic.

8/4/08 7:57 PM  
Blogger JaniceNW said...

One word: Birkenstocks.

8/4/08 9:26 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

I think the croc mary janes are really darling.

I'm a physical therapy whore, too. I love the soft music my therapist used to put on and the warm towels and the massaging. I am all nostalgic now :)

8/4/08 10:11 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Birkenstocks and other negative heel shoes are the number one cause of planters faciaitis. As are flip flops. No thanks. BTDT, never again.

8/4/08 11:50 PM  
Blogger madamspud169 said...

You can never ever be too careful about your feet when you have diabetes. It's so easy to end up with neuropathy (really, really painfull - I have it). Even amputation can be needed quickly when you're a diabetic. I wouldn't ever complain about an overcaring pcp most drs tend to not bother till it's too late (just ask my amputated toe).

9/4/08 11:31 AM  
Blogger Peggasus said...

Yeah, that's when I knew I was officially old: when I had to go to the podiatrist. I would hobble around for two days after walking nine holes of golf, and it finally kicked in to make me think, this is not normal. Plantar fasciatis (sp?) it was, with heel spurs as a bonus! Buy some orthotics for $500? Sure, why not?

Now I wear my old workout shoes around the house all day, and haven't had to wear the inserts for years, though my feet still hurt on occasion.

OH, no, I just told someone about my foot problems! It's another sign!

Oh, hai.

9/4/08 2:03 PM  
Blogger imaginary binky said...

Despite how a friend calls them clown shoes, I wear Crocs. I love 'em, yes, I do. 'Course, I'm not very fashionable...

9/4/08 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.