HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Oh, we're simpatico!

I've made a new friend recently. At my age, making new friends is hard work. Most of the women in my age group are in very different places than I am, with kids through college and retirement right around the corner. And if truth be told, I'm not really all that interested in women my age. I just don't relate in a lot of ways, mostly because most boomers are financially secure in a way that I'm never going to be again.

But my new friend... oh man are we simpatico. I met her at my mom's group and took her family on as clients. The second we crossed paths, I knew that we were going to be best buds. You know how you meet someone and you just KNOW that this is a person that's going to be a part of your life? Well, a couple of months later and we're hanging out and totally enjoying each other's company. But today I knew we were going for be BFFs. She invited me to go to her town dump. And I was so excited I almost cried.

My city's dump kinda sucks. We have a decent book exchange, but I never find anything I really want to read. We've got a paint exchange program, but again... not my taste for the most part. A lot of beige paint goes through the dump exchange. But our dump rarely has anything really good, least of all furniture and accessories.

However, my new friend, who lives in the next town over, has a dump sticker to her town dump, and I've heard tell for years that this is a great dump. When she took me around her house and showed me all the furniture and accessories she's picked up at her dump, I was hooked. Her town has some class, I'm telling you. Some of the stuff was pottery barn adorable, in great shape, and yes...free. One lamp I absolutely coveted. It was JUST my taste, black and white toile shade and the cutest little set of shabby chic drawers for the body. In a design showroom, that lamp would be $350, easy!

I know it sounds kinda gross, but in MA dumps are sort of a social event. Some towns have actual get-togethers at their town dumps, and if you're lucky enough to live in a town with a good dump, people actually covet your car stickers. It's weird, but hey...we choose to live in a climate that is inhospitable 80% of the time. We're a little weird, too.

My new friend and I will share lots together. We both love to garden, we both have special needs kids, we both like the same kinds of activities, movies, and music, and OMG, we both love us some cheap and free decor. What else is there to a powerful friendship?

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhiannon said...

I'm intrigued by the dump now. We don't have this sort of thing here. Well, we have a dump, but you know what I mean :)

27/4/08 5:32 AM  
Blogger Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

We don't have anything like that either....sounds interesting : )

And you lucky duck!!!! You found a friend. I want one too!

27/4/08 8:13 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Gardening, special needs kids, scavengers (that's the term I use for being able to find stuff cheap or free) -- I think I need to move to Massachusetts.

27/4/08 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.