HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 12, 2008

Back from the windy city

And boy, was it windy. Chilly, too. But what a great city. I love Chicago and every time I go I get so psyched. It's really my kinda town.

We drove by the Illinois Institute of Technology and I was almost jumping out of my skin. Those are Mies van der Rohe buildings I was exclaiming. MIES. Do you know how amazing that campus is? Do you know what you're looking at. Evidentally not, because everyone around me thought they were ugly. OY VEY! Ugly? They are classically modern, historical buildings. Bauhaus buildings.

Crown House at IIT

I had no clue that people didn't know about the Bauhaus. I grew up revering Bauhaus architects and artists. Walter Gropius's house is right around the corner from an old friend of mine, and we visit there often. One of the main objectives of the Bauhaus was to unify art, craft, and technology. How can you go wrong with that objective? Hence, I'm a HUGE admirer of the Bauhaus.

Then we drove by the downtown campus of Northeastern (the Law school is right across from the Lake) and I was trying to convince the Boy to consider going to school in Chicago. He was reluctant to talk about it, but by the end of our trip, he was reconsidering.

I'll have lots of pics up tomorrow. I'm going to bed now. We have spent more time in airports in the past weekend than I think I ever have except for getting snowed in at Newark.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

I wish we were visiting on the same weekend! I don't leave until Saturday. :-(

12/5/08 11:23 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

We saw a guy on the plane coming back from Chicago that my son said "Hey, is that Dave?" He looked so much like you, but with less cool hair! Of course he didn't look like the GOTH you, but that was just freaking hilarious! I have to come back and write a comment when I'm coherent.

I do want to know if you went out to brunch with mom and grannie like that!

13/5/08 12:29 AM  
Blogger Poppy Buxom said...

Hey, Northeastern is on Huntington Avenue in Bawston. You meant NorthWESTern.

13/5/08 11:06 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

poppy, you're right. As usual. And I taught at NorthEASTERN for 10 years, so you would think I would have caught that little error. Sigh.

14/5/08 3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.